Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed windows xp on a new hard drive...Now when I turn the computer on I get an error...A DISK READ ERROR OCCURED press CLT+ALT+DEL to restart...when i press CLT+ALT+DEL the computer will restart but I keep getting the same error...and windows won't start

Cheryl

·
Registered
611 Posts
Is this a legite, full copy of Windows XP?

Also, did you format any preexisting partitions, and create or merge a new partition?

Try inserting the Windows CD and selecting Repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is a legite full version of Windows XP Home Edition...The Windows XP CD formatted the partition, before it installed the windows program..Getting ready to try and repair from the CD...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Repairing was unsuccessful...I've received a few suggestions, like going into the Bios and activate "Load Fail-Safe Default", Disabling IDE bus Master, Repartition to FAT32...But am afraid to try them if fear that I will mess computer up more than I already have...I see that you are a senior member...Any suggestions...I think that the problem might just lie somewhere in the Bios...But that area I have no experience in what so ever...

·
Registered
611 Posts
So you think there is an error with the Bios?

Reset you BIOS to default settings.

Try this, and let me know what happens.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Or you can just go into BIOS on startup and reset to defaults. Same result without opening the case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First let me say thank you for all of your input it is great appreciated...
Couldn't reset Bios to default...I was able to get to the Bios menu but I couldn't navigate around in it... It was like my keyboard was frozen...But I was able to use the F1 key to get the settings...

Now I am getting a "No Operating System found"... Could this be because I installed the hard drive in another computer as a slave...there deleted the partitions, created them and installed Windows XP?...The Windows XP program was installed and I was able to use it...But now when I install it in the computer I've been working on I get the above error.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
cherbrig said:
Now I am getting a "No Operating System found"... Could this be because I installed the hard drive in another computer as a slave...there deleted the partitions, created them and installed Windows XP?...The Windows XP program was installed and I was able to use it...But now when I install it in the computer I've been working on I get the above error.
Yes. The boot files, NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI are always placed on the boot drive. Since your installation was on a slave drive, the boot files didn't get written to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.