Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all TGs, I'm not sure if I am in the right place or not so I'll count on someone letting me know. So here's my question,because I don't know alot aboutut computers yet, I down loaded a driver scanner that tells me I need to update 9 things on my PC but in order to do so I have to register which means pay. Is there any freeware that will not only scan my PC but also update it without charging to do so? Or can I get the updates from a website somewhere? Any help you can give me on this will be much apprappreciated always thank you for your time and patients.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The best & safest place to get drivers is from the PC manufacturers website. If you're talking about the Dell PC in your specs, the logical place would be Dells support pages.

I'd take anything a driver scanner says with a pinch of salt, just because there's a driver update available that doesn't mean you need it.

BTW, if you're running XP you're in the wrong forum..... ;)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Not that I know about.

The best thing to remember, "If it is working correctly, don't fix it". Just because it is the latest and greatest, doesn;t mean it is the best for you.

This is a little convoluted but I tried to explain why I jusy use driver scanners for a reference only.
I only use the free scanners to get information about the updated drivers. What the driver is for, date and version of the driver. Then I research to find out why the update was made. If it is to allow use with Vista, I probably don't need it for my XP. If it contains enhancements that will work with my system, then I will probable update.

The DriverGuide scan shows 8 drivers that supposedly need to be updated. 5 are for unplugged USB devices that I no longer use. My USB mouse, Logitech Camera, and Realtek Ethernet work OK. Know for a fact that the Logitek is to update for Vista using newer cameras and will not work for my 7 year od camera.

Then I look for free updates.

First place to try would be the web site of your computer manufacturer. Anything from has been tested to work with similar systems. and are clean. May have been tweaked.

2nd try device manufacturers site, Intel, RealTek,etc. These are generic drivers and usually safe. Could be problems as they would lack any OEM tweaks.

DriverGuide.com or other free source. These may or may not work on your specific system. Usually uploads by users. The better sites will do AV scans, but do not guaranty anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You TS guys are the best!! Thanks for the info on the Driver scanner and the pinch of salt. For some reason I thought by me updating my drivers it would help things run a little smoother and or faster. I know better. If its to good to be true its not, unless of course its TSG. Thanks for your time and understanding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.