Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished setting up my system, and on every startup during the regular boot progress (just after detecting IDE CD/DVD Rom Drives and my SATA HDD and then USB devices) I get a line that says, simply:

"Drive Error
Press F1 to Continue"

I've noticed no problems in performance, and, in fact, it's only a small inconvenience to press F1 on every boot. But still it worries me so I was hoping you guys could give me a clue as to what's going on. At first I thought it was a setup problem with my SATA HD, but a DiscWizard check says it's fine. The only other thing I can think of is on the USB 2.0 front panel connections to my mobo, there's 3 grounding pins (and the pins on the mobo only have 2), so to be safe I stuck the front panel's third grounding pin to the second USB pinset on the mobo. Could that have anything to do with the error?

Thanks,
-Mav

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If it's saying drive error, I think it probably is detecting some sort of indication that it at least thinks is an error. Have you checked in the BIOS for disk SMART capability? If so, check the status and see what it says about all the hard disks.

I like the SMART capability of SpeedFan for on-line checking, it gives you a nice expanded report of each drive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what DiscWizard checks, and like I said it said everything was fine.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Did you check all your hard drives? I'd start the process by disconnecting things and booting until the error goes away, then you'll know where it's coming from.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe a generic error message looking for a floppy drive? Just a quick thought that I had.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will check on the floppy drive - I was getting the error even before I had connected the HD, but at the same time an in-depth SpeedFan check of the HD said everything was normal, good, or very good except the "Raw Read Error Rate," that has a Current of 99, a Raw of 0, and is telling me to watch it. It says:

Warning: Raw Read Error Rate is below the average limits (100-119).

What does that mean and what should I do about it?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It means you should be shopping for a new drive! :) That's probably the SMART error that's popping up during the boot. I'd start by doing an immediate backup of anything important on that drive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait - this is a brand new hard drive.. Your saying it's faulty out-of-box? So I need to swap it out?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That would be how it appears if you're getting excessive raw errors. It happens, lots of new stuff fails. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I guess I'll have to go swap it and start over..

Could the raw errors be causing freezing and errors in PC games? (I haven't been able to play GRAW or Dark Messiah)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It's difficult to say. Normally, when a drive presents a SMART diagnostic error, I listen. They usually don't last long after the error occurs. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All right - I've talked to a technical support agent from the retailer where I bought the drive (who came to the same conclusions JohnWill did) and am going to swap the drive tomorrow.

And I'm seriously hoping its the drive that's causing the running errors in my games. This new system had better be as perfect as my money suggested it would.

Thanks for the help,

Mavirick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exchanged the drive and got a deal on a Maxtor 200GB SATA 7200 (40GB more for just another $10). The drive has worked beautifully. Didn't take me long to set it up, and so far R6 Vegas runs like magic. I have yet to try GRAW and Dark Messiah but I have high hopes.

Also, turns out the RAW errors weren't causing my Drive Error on boot. I still get it, but I think it's from one of my CD-Rom drives that's not reading any cd's. It's just a cheap drive though, and I'm not to worried about it. I'll fiddle with it later and see if I can't get that error to go away.

Once again, thanks for all the help JohnWill!

-Mavirick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.