Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now able to get on the internet. I resolved my No LAN problem. I now can get on the internet and have good speed on my provider's speed test. There are two related problems. One my downloads often stall depending on the day. Also, alot of times I need to doubleclick several times to get things going. When I test the speed of my internet connection, it seems to move in jerks, the little ball or speed indicator at the bottom. Sometimes it stalls completely.

Here is the status of my modem:

Modem Status

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 800
Ds Rate (Kbps) 4032
US Margin 10
DS Margin 27
Trained Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 15
US Line Attenuation 10
Peak Cell Rate 1886 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 5
Path Mode Interleaved
DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bigall-f39b554569
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Acanac:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-1B-15-F1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.1xx.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.2xx.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xxx.1xx.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.1xx.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.1xx.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 01, 2008 11:27:17 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 01, 2008 12:27:17 PM

Processor: AMD 64, 3000-2000mhz, Memory 1023, Motherboard MSI MS-6741, XP Home, Modem/Router: Lynx L-510 (it is working fine). Ethernet Card: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. I have started from scratch. I re-installed Windows on last Saturday.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The link you gave me should help. Went to the site and I could not do the test because of the NAT firewall in my Lynx L-510. It stopped the ping test. I cannot figure out how to disable it. I will have to call support this Monday and get back to you. Here is what is says in my help menu.

The NAT and Firewall Service can be globally (for LAN and all WAN connections) disabled/enabled from the Setup Firewall/NAT Service page.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, they have a couple of problem nodes in the network, but your connection appears to be good.

Did you run the line quality test at the time that downloads are failing to complete?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is so variable that it is impossible to predict. When I was running the test the computer or line could have been in a good mode. Since I had to disable my firewall, I do not want to run too many tests right now. I will wait and ask support at my provider how to make my computer/modem respond to the ping test without disabling the firewall. It just took me too long to learn how to disable my firewall. The manual and help were basically useless. I finally found site that explained how to disable the firewall in other modem/routers which gave me some insights.

I have had a tech here twice and both times the line tested okay. I have good speed but something is causing things to hang up. Previously I had tested the course of the network hops and there is always a slight problem where I suspect it goes into my provider's servers. But it does not appear to be a major problem. It appears just from my limited observations that the two main problem areas in line efficiencies occur where a signal enters the main line and leaves it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Where did you disable the firewall? Can you post a link for the manual for that router?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a disc. Here is how I did it.

Lynx L-510

Advanced>Wan>Quickstart

This gets you into the quickstart page that has many more options than the usual one.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That does little for me, since I have no idea what you're looking at.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I have to reinstall all my programs and find a few, I do not have the ability to give you more. I will get back to you when I can provide you with more information. Thanks. I put the information in the above post just in case it would help another user.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to copy the file off my disc but it is too large for me to upload and I cannot split it into volumes as it is locked or something like that. WinRar will not split it into volumes.

While surfing I noticed delayed responses, did several speed tests with some low results and some wouldn't even start. I disabled my firewall, went to dslreports and couldn't even get in the queue before the connection reset.

I have very consistent and good upload speeds 560 to 670. Most upload results are over 600. What does that mean? if anything.

I found a menu in portforwarding that allowed me to chose incoming ping allowed. I ran three more tests tonight allowing pings. Here is the page of my results. Just tried some speed tests and two stalled.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That's the generic LQ test page, I get my results when I follow the link. You need to copy/paste the link from the top of each LQ test result here for us to see it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I still get to the generic line quality test page, so you're not pasting the correct link.

Correction, you ran two of the links together and confused DSLreports. I separated them here.

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357177

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357103

From the look of the tests, I see problems within the ISP network that might cause the issue, hard to say. Your test doesn't indicate you are dropping any packets, so you don't have a local issue with your connection.

Can you test another machine on this connection? I don't see anything that should cause the symptoms you describe in these tests.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, I think when you get back, the next step is the secondary computer test. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.