Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! whenever I try to download a file from it's current location on th net, I get an error message " cannot find aol.exe. Program is needed for opening files of type pdf. I am no longer an aol subscriber, I am now with sympatico. I have already deleted aol . Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
hadn't gotten that far yet RR :)
- wasn't sure if the file was a pdf or just any file and the missing aol link to the download process was the main culprit or not

but yes, if it is a pdf file, and aol used to handle those, then a clean version (of adobe reader) is needed to handle adobe docs - although the latest adobe is about a 10Mb download

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. But I already have Adobe Acrobat installed on my computer.Will it help to reinstall it?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
a little more info please

did this just start?
have you added or removed any other programs besides aol?
what type of file were you trying to download?
what version of adobe reader do you have currently?
do you get this error message with different types of file downloads or just pdf (if that was the type that caused the error)?

hard to make suggestions with so little info

thx

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Assuming you only have the problem with pdf files, locate one on your system and then highlight and press shift + right-click, choose Open With... and then choose Acrobat Reader. Make sure "always use this program... is checked."

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all the wonderful people who helped me. My problem has been solved. I needed to re-install Adobe acrobat.
Thanks for the wed site info. and for taking the time to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.