Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Do you use P2P?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, do you use P2P?
I don't care which one or for what.

Before you answer, you may want to look below and even peruse the linked pages. I have a feeling many people are using it and don't even know. MS Groove is another P2P app. Also note Instant Messaging.

Other types of peer-to-peer applications
* File sharing (using application layer protocols as BitTorrent )
* VOIP (using application layer protocols as SIP )
* Streaming media
* Instant messaging
* Software publication and distribution
* Media publication and distribution (radio, video)
TV: One of the first applications of P2P in this area is Joost
Skype, one of the most widely used internet phone applications is using P2P technology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

After the Web revolution, peer-to-peer networks evolved and currently have a number of different usages - instant messaging, file sharing, etc
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/p2p_introduction_real_world_applications.php

Another article
http://kosmaczewski.net/2007/03/29/p2p-overview/

Edit: It is public to keep you honest. i.e Don't say no yet use Skype.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Given the nature of P2P, I would imagine just about everyone uses it. All it means is 2 computers talking directly after all. Trouble is, most people think of it as a pirate method. So, for me, its a big yes, all the way :)

·
Super Moderator
19,817 Posts
Hi just remember guys girls and others of the forums rules. ;)
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

"P2P Instructions - The purpose of P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material. We do not support the use of P2P networks and any threads requesting help for them will be closed. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, WinMX, and the like. If you're interested in the topic, you are free to discuss it on our site (and please visit StealingIsIllegal.com), but information on how to use them will not be provided".

http://www.stealingisillegal.com/

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the nature of P2P, I would imagine just about everyone uses it.
Exactly

Hi just remember guys girls and others of the forums rules. ;)
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

"P2P Instructions - The purpose of P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material. We do not support the use of P2P networks and any threads requesting help for them will be closed. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, WinMX, and the like. If you're interested in the topic, you are free to discuss it on our site (and please visit StealingIsIllegal.com), but information on how to use them will not be provided".

http://www.stealingisillegal.com/
Which is why I feel the first sentence of the rule, in bold, needs to be removed. It will still say exactly the same thing without that sentence.

It is misleading and I know for a fact is a matter of controversy.

P.S. If any lawyers are reading this I could use some advice regarding a new business model for the music industry relating to distribution. It does not involve P2P. With the way the RIAA acts I am not just giving it to them. They will copyright it and not allow another business to do the same thing.

Edit: Even just some good reliable links related to it.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
It should be (and will be) changed to read "MAINLY" used to. We all pretty much know THAT part is true, and since we can't determine the real intent, as what idiot is going to say they are downloading a copyrighted movie instead of some Linux stuff (well, yeah, I guess they do say that, don't they :rolleyes: ) --- it's best for the site, at THIS TIME to refrain from assisting with it entirely.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Not trying to be inflammatory, but does that mean that questions on messenger, joost, skype.. all th elegel applications of P2P, along with FTP sites ( which are technically a P2P. if you have a NAS or similar that you are sharing) cant be asked or answered? I did read the rules, but didnt think of it as applying in these cases. On top of that, many P2P sites are used by people to distribute legel material, eg music groups lookng for a start.
As I said, its not meant to be inflammatory, and I completely agree with the INTENT of the rule, but at the same time I agree with bear, it does need changing, to cover legal aspects. Apart from anything, sayibg that "The purpose of P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material" is incorrect and could even be legally acted upon ( if someone distributes legal material on a P2P network, it is saying they are acting illegally?).

Not something I have considered before, but with all due respect, perhaps a wording cgange might be appropriate. :)

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
It boils down to a matter of semantics. That is why humans do the judging about closing threads instead of a computer. I highly doubt anyone has had a thread closed for talking about IM.

Casuistry aside, we all know which apps are used almost exclusively for illegal downloads.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been too busy this morning dealing with idiot banning :rolleyes:
LOL ^

I'd be happy with just the one sentence removed. (previously highlighted) Still the exact same rule.

I'd also be just as happy leaving it to Mods to close whatever thread they deem necessary.
Asking how to set-up bittorrent isn't the same as asking how to set-up skype (I don't think, haven't used either). Way too much involved to make it cut and dried with one paragraph of words. Probably take a two thousand page report.

From what I have seen, the Mods use good judgment. Anyone has a problem with that they can ask for an explanation. I can't recall seeing a post closed or deleted as well as the poster being banned unless they just didn't get it. In other words it wasn't the first time.

Personally, I think Mike and the Mods are to be commended. An excellent team here.:up:

To err is to be human. You show me someone who has never made a mistake and I'll show you someone who has never done anything.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
"The purpose of anonymous, file-sharing P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material."

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"The purpose of anonymous, file-sharing P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material."
The purpose of file sharing P2P is to share files. Has nothing to do with copyrighted material except in the sense that this is now mine and copyrighted automatically. Nor does it have anything to do with legal/illegal, that is the users. Vettes aren't responsible for speeders.

You want to change the wording. I am saying the rule is exactly the same without that sentence period. Which still adheres to Mikes'? wishes.

http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/
Lots of good movies here. Free and legal, but you will need a torrent client.
Unless you want to sit in front of your monitor for two hours to watch. No thank-you.

I have old classic superman and popeye cartoons from here. You are saying what I am doing is illegal. I disagree.

Torrent clients can be used legally for more than just Linux distros. Although that is the best purpose:D

I like this when you click download

"Downloading Spooks_Run_Wild.avi.torrent

Since you're not using Windows or Mac, chances are you can figure out Bit Torrent yourself,..."
LOL:D
http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/bt/btdownload.php?file=Spooks_Run_Wild.avi.torrent

I can post a screenshot if you want to see it yourself as I am not sure that link will work the way others do. Unless you are using Linux maybe.

I think I could live with something along the lines of:
No assistance will be provided for P2P applications whose main purpose is file sharing.

Skype is P2P but its main purpose is calling people even if you can share files with it.
Nor are we calling someone a criminal or misrepresenting an application.

I could say the main purpose of anti-virus programs is to slow down your PC and consume valuable resources. Is this true? It is one of the reasons I switched to Linux.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Hello, i do realize i use p2p. I have used it for both good and bad. I do live on my instant messenger, that is p2p. I use p2p everyday to back up my computer utilizing a batch file that dumps into my local NAS. I have used it for not so good tho, and i think this forum gives a pretty good idea of how...

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
And that is the problem. Asking for help to download or copy any file that is legally downloadable by the person downloading it should not be against the rules.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.