Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have searched this forum for a few days now and read anything I could on my problem but I am still stumped.
Here is my problem.
I get the message when I boot the computer: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
My Computer Information:
HP Pavilion 061
Windows XP Pro Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Here's what I tried so far:
I checked to make sure all plugs were inserted correctly and firmly.
I changed the boot sequence so it goes HDD, CD/DVD, then REMOVABLE... but it didn't seem to solve anything.
I did a chkdsk and it said everything was fine.
Did a complete virus check and came out clean.
I did a system Recovery with the Recovery Tools CD.
I've also been having problems with my cd/dvd, I have to open and close it a few times for it to finally read the content. This problem has been happening for about 6 months though.
Right now it's a 50/50 chance of whether it will boot or not. Sometimes it boots fine, other times it will only boot from the Recovery Tools CD to load Windows.
Once in Windows my computer works great.

If I missed anything I apologize.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I forgot to add that in. I did a chkdsk and it said everything was fine.

I'm afraid I don't know what's a SATA or IDE drive. How do I know the difference? Do I look inside the computer?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Faulty HDD data cables can cause some weird problems, had SATA cables in the past cause sporadic errors both booting and in Windows.

Cant say I'm completely convinced that's the problem, but ruling it out would be a good idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just rebooted after installing the Service Pack 3 and a black window popped up C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe then another one popped up and a few of these lines appeared "error: the parameter is incorrect"
I'm assuming this is a an error because of the Service Pack 3 and that it can be fixed by going to Microsoft. But I thought I would mention it in case it's not.

I also wanted to mention that booting takes a long time when it does boot, and my loading screen looks different than it used to before I had done a recovery.

I also noticed that after the recovery, all my old files can be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents

I thought I had formatted it and that it would clean everything and give me a clean install. What does this mean and is this normal?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just finished reformatting the hard drive. What I had done wrong the last time was not clicking on the Advanced option where the destructive recovery was hidden.
Now let's hope I don't have the DISK BOOT FAILURE message again. If so I will have to bring it to the technician since I assume it will mean a hardware problem that I can't fix by myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" still comes on at times.I tried to unplug the DVD/CD Drive to see if the problem would persist since the DVD CD Rom is not working properly with the DVD. But the plug won't come off.I'm wondering if I should replace the DVD/CD ROM... If so, can I buy any make for my PC or do HP Pavilion only take specific ones?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi freakyautumn,
I managed to unplug the DVD/CD Drive last night and rebooted and it booted fine, but this morning it gave me the failure message again. I took it to the technician today and when I find something out I will post it in case someone else has the same problem.
I am not sure how to tell if it has it's own IDE or if it's a slave. I am not too familiar with hardware when it comes to computers. I am pretty sure I saw the word SLAVE on the IDE, though.
If it's the IDE cable that's bad, I'm assuming this will be a lot less expensive than if it's the Hard Drive itself?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tech confirmed that it was my Hard Drive. I brought the computer back home because they charge almost as much as the Hard Drive itself just to install it. So this weekend I am going to buy a new Hard Drive and install it myself. I'm assuming my recovery CD can install Windows on a blank Drive?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yikes. HDD's can be expensive. You should be able to either (A) use a backup disk, or (B) use the XP files transfer wizard (only if you computer will boot.) I would suggest using a backup disk, however. The file wizard does not always transfer program files correctly...at least not in my experience...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I will be using a backup disk.
I am about to leave in a couple of hours to go buy a new hard drive, does it matter the size I get? It's a HP Pavilion a143On
I have looked online and can't find the system information.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.