Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden Windows Logon is popping up when husband starts his Windows 2000 PRO PC. It is very annoying. Is there a way to disable it? He is the only one using it.
Thanks dsmom

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Yes, Click Start \ Run and type control userpasswords2 and hit enter. Select the account and uncheck the box "User must enter a user name and password" Click apply and OK.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did this and it didn't solve problem, so a friend advised me to go into users in the control panel and delete all names there except the administrator, which I did. BIG MISTAKE!
I still needed logon. but when I logged on , I had lost the desktop wallpaper and all the folders that was on the desktop. Internet (networked to mine) was gone, and his only pass time FreeCell was back to 0 from the 70,000+ games he played without a loss.
So I messed around and put back the users, guest and allen hoping things would come back but NO they didn't. It would open as a brand new computer. Is there anything I can do? Got internet working but his favorites, saved emails and address book is also gone.
Please can anyone help me, restore all I lost when I did this. After all this logon is still required. this is Windows 2000 Professional. :mad:

·
Retired Moderator
72,109 Posts
Based on the information given my thought is the profile he was logging into has gotten corrupt and will no longer load. If you right click on the start button and select explore it will take you to your current profile, the one you are logging into. Is this the normal profile? Please describe what profiles you see.

Example:
C:\Documents and Settings\user1
C:\Documents and Settings\user2
C:\Documents and Settings\ what does your current profile say?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
so a friend advised me to go into users in the control panel and delete all names there except the administrator, which I did. BIG MISTAKE!
Still a friend? :)

When you delete a user in XP you are asked whether you want to delete the files also; Don't know about 2k Pro. Did you delete the files? Or were they deleted automatically?

If you are not sure look in C:\Documents and Settings and see what you can find. (I hope this is the right folder; I didn't use that version of Windows very long.)

Are you now using the special Administrator user, or one of the new ones you (re-)added?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
control userpasswords2 was added with XP and doesn't work on Windows 2000. It's not needed, as Start | Settings | Control Panel | Users and Passwords takes you to the same place that control userpasswords2 does on XP.

Fortunately, Windows 2000 just deletes the User Account from the SAM database, but doesn't delete the user profile, so all the files are there.

When you recreated the Allen account, since there was already a folder named Allen, it created the one named Allen.VJT4S...
The VJT4S part is probably the computer name.

Getting things back is not too complex. The hard part is that once an account is deleted, it's Security Identifier (SID) is deleted, so accessing some files might not work. Re-creating the account, even with the same name and password, still uses a new SID.

All that would be needed is to take ownership of the files, but the files and folders in a User's profile are not all owned by the user. Some are owned by the user, some are the Administrators group. For example, Application Data is owned by the User, but Application Data\Help is owned by the Administrators group.

I'm not sure if just taking ownership of everything by the User Account would cause a problem or not. I can't think of a reason why it would be a problem, but between the Support Tools on the Win2K CD and the subinacl tool that can be downloaded from Microsoft, it wouldn't be hard to set the ownership back if needed.

Basically I'd just use subinacl to record the settings from an account on a clean install of Win2K and edit the "playfile" file subinacl creates to use the Allen username and change just the folders under the Allen account that should be owned by the Administrators group. Then it would just be a matter of taking ownership of everything, then playback the "playfile" file.

I going to delete a user account on a virtual system, then walk through recovering it so I can give you a step by step procedure to follow, but it'll be later this evening or tomorrow before I can get a complete step by step written up, and create a playfile to use.

Basic steps will be:
From the Administrator account:
Backup the old profile files so we will have a copy, just in case.
Backup the new profile files so we will have a copy, just in case.
Rename the new Allen user account
Rename the old Allen folder to Allen.old, so we can create a new Allen account with the correct profile folder name.
Create the new Allen account and log into it once
Log back into the Administrator account
Copy the files from the old renamed folder to the new account. (Allen.old->Allen)
Set the Ownership of the Allen profile folder and it's contents to Allen
Install the Win2K Support Tools from the Win2K CD (Run Setup from the Support\Tools folder)
Download and install subinacl from here. Needs to be installed to the same folder as the Support Tools, C:\Program Files\Support Tools
Run subinacl with the playback file to set the owner on some of the folders back to the Administrators group.

Then get it to log in automatically.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to all of you. First I downloaded TweakUI thinking it was the easiest fix. When download is unzipped the inf file needed to install is not there, I right click on tweakui and it gives me the option to install in control panel, but it doesn't install.
Terrynet, yes that friend is still my friend, he has helped me a lot in the past.
Outcaste I credit you for your detailed instructions on what to do but truthfully I am afraid I will make things worse. I have got some things straightened out and I don't wish to lose them.
I now question, can I safely log out from administrator and login as one of the other users liisted to see what is there? Can I then safely return to administrator?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Yes, you can log into any of the accounts you created, and switch back to the Administrator without a problem.

Looks like Ownership won't be a problem. I don't know why the one account I looked at has mixed ownership.
Looks like Administrator accounts are owned by the Administrators group, and all other account types are owned by the User.
So we won't need to download or install anything.

This procedure will back up the current user profiles. The only change this will make to the current setup is to rename the current Allen account to Allen1, and rename the old profile folder. This is needed so we can add a new Allen account that will use the correct name for the profile folder. This is needed so that any shortcuts from the old account will work properly.
Only issue I can see is if the original Allen account has a large number of large files that were stored in My Documents or one of it's subfolders. If the profile totals over 4 GB in size that could be a problem as you have just 4.74 GB of free space, so we may not have room to save a copy of the profile.
The only reason to make a copy is in case you accidentally delete the original folder. This would only happen if you have turned off the delete confirmations so that when you delete a file or folder you do not get the Are you sure you want to remove the folder 'XXXX' and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin? message.

In the screenshot you posted I can't tell if there is more after the VJT4SC part, so I'll just refer to that folder as Allen.ALLEN-VJT4SC.

Log on with the Administrator account
Open Windows Explorer: Right click My Computer, click Explore
We need to make sure that we can see hidden and system files

• In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View Tab
  • Select the following under Hidden files and Folders:
  • Show hidden files and folders
  • Uncheck the following:
  • Hide file extensions for known file types[/color]
  • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Click OK
In the left pane, expand Local Disk (C:) | Documents and Settings
Right click on Allen, then click Properties
The Size on Disk: line will show the size of the profile. This might take a while to total everything up.
If it's more than 4 GB you can either stop at this point, or skip the next two lines and not make a backup copy of the Allen folder.

Right click on Allen, then click Copy
Right click on a blank spot on the Desktop and click Paste
Right click on Allen.ALLEN-VJT4SC, then click Copy
Right click on a blank spot on the Desktop and click Paste
This will copy the two profile folders to the Desktop as I've done in the first screenshot
Right click on Allen, then click on Rename
Press END, then type .old, renaming Allen to Allen.old
This will let us create an account named Allen that will have a Profile folder also named Allen.

Click Start | Settings | Control Panel | Users and Passwords
On the Users tab, Check the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Click on Allen to highlight it and then click the Properties button
On the General tab, in the User name: box, change the name to Allen1
We need to rename this so we can create a new account named Allen that will use a profile folder named Allen.
Click OK

Click the Add... button
In the User name: box type Allen
Enter the Full name: and Description: info if desired, then click Next
Enter a password if desired, then click Next
Select Other: and Administrators as for the Account Type
Click Finish
For now, leave the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. checked.
Click OK

Log off the Administrator account, and log on to the new Allen account we just created.
This will create the Allen profile folder.
Once the Desktop appears, log off the account and log back on to the Administrator account.

Right click My Computer, click Explore
You should now see three folders

• Allen
  • Allen.ALLEN-VJT4SC
  • Allen.old

In the left pane, click on Allen
Press Delete. If you get any dialog boxes regarding deleting Read-only or System files, click Yes to all
In the left pane, right click on Allen.old then click Rename
Change the name from Allen.old back to just Allen

Log off the Administrator account, and log on to the Allen account.
The account should be just the way it was before you deleted it.

Two steps left to fix ownership and registry permissions.

Still in the Allen account, click on Start | Run, type regedt32, press Enter
If needed, click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER on Local Machine window to bring it to the front
Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER to highlight it
Click on Security | Permissions...
Click the Add... button
Scroll down the list and click on Allen
Click the Add button, then click OK
In the Permissions: section, make sure both Read and Full Control are checked
You'll see an entry that starts with S-1-5-21-????? with a string of numbers after it as in Screenshot #2
Click on that entry, then click Remove
Click OK, and close the Registry Editor

Right click on Allen and click Properties
Click the Security tab
Click the Advanced... button
Click the Owner tab
In the Change owner to: section, click on Allen to highlight it.
Just under the Change owner to: window, check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
Click OK
Click OK

If you don't want the Allen account to be an Administrator's account, highlight Allen and click Properties
Click the Group Membership tab
Select the account type you want, then click OK
On the Users tab, Uncheck the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Enter the User name and password for the account you want to automatically log on (Allen I presume)
Click OK
If you changed the account type, you will get this prompt:
You have made changes to your account. You must log off and log back on for these changes to take effect.
Do you want to log off now?

Click No
Now, reboot the PC, and it should automatically log into the Allen account, just as it was before all this started.

Once you are sure the Allen account has all the files, emails, email addresses, etc, we can delete the backup copies we made of the profile folders, and delete the Allen1 account.
Log on as Administrator
Delete the Allen and Allen.ALLEN-VJT4SC folders from the Desktop
On the Users tab, Check the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Highlight Allen1 and click Remove. Click Yes to confirm you want to remove the account
On the Users tab, Uncheck the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Click OK
Re-enter the User name and password for the account you want to automatically log on and click OK
Delete the Allen.ALLEN-VJT4SC folder.
Empty the Recycle Bin

HTH

Jerry

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.