Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new DVD-drive today and tried to install it, but it only sees my old CD-RW drive. They work if one is unplugged and the other is connected. If both are connected at the same time, then it only reads the CD-RW. When the other is disconnected, it gives the other the drive letter 'D'. Why won't it recognize both or how can I change the letter on my old one? The Device manager won't let me type another name in for the old CD-RW.

How can I get it to recognize both?
The brand of the DVD-drive is Pacific Digital and the CD-RW is Samsung.
I am using Win. XP on an eMachines T1440; Intel Celeron at 1.4 gHz.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
860 Posts
Maybe you need to give the DVD a different drive letter.

I don't know,but just a thought.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
ok if you are attaching both drives on the same cable make sure you are setting the jumpers correctly on the back of each drive. it sounds as if both are set to master. Heres what you should do. set the cd-rw to master, and the dvd drive to slave. and see if that works. make sure the red strip on the edge of the ide cable is toward the power connector.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Make sute the one on the end of the cable is set to master and the other to slave. Watch the first screen when booting and see if it shows both drives.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i don't know how mine are hooked up, but in the BIOS :

primary master=hard drive
primary slave=none
secondary master=cd-rw
secondary slave= dvd-rom

i assume primary slave would be for another hard drive.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
try going into device manager and uninstalling(remove) the driver for it and reboot. This will (should) get windows to reinstall it. Maybe that will correct the problem.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Originally posted by Stephenrulz3:
They work if one is unplugged and the other is connected. If both are connected at the same time, then it only reads the CD-RW. When the other is disconnected, it gives the other the drive letter 'D'.
You have them jumpered incorrectly. One must be set to MASTER (MA) and the other one to SLAVE (SL).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.