Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell desk top PC (tower type) When I depress the power button it has a solid amber light on , and the hard drive light does not illuminate at all. The internal fan for the mother board runs full blast until I hold the power button down again to shut it off. The four lights on the back do not light up at all.
This is a windows XP operating system. The service tag is : 8SDXD61 what can I check?
I know how to use a DVOM, and read electrical schematics, I am guessing a power supply? Or Mother board? There is a green little light on -in the mother board. I don't want to guess whats wrong and spend the wrong money on a 5-year old machine.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Sorry, I missed that.
"No electrical power is supplied to the computer."
Test the power supply, but this sounds bad.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,504 Posts
Dave3365:

Here is the support site that's specific only to your Dell Dimension 4700 desktop.

Here is the online service manual for it.

Read the "Advanced Troubleshooting - Power Lights" section.

----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kept having problems with it booting , then not booting up.
I replaced the mother board using a G31TM-P21 MSI brand? Mother board, Antec 350 watt power supply-Antec brand, and a Thermaltake fan/heatsink assembly. Works great , and I did not buy someone elses used problems from craigs list. I had to bend the case in under the processor mount-however I re-used the old case and it has been working for weeks no with no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.