Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

While troubleshooting a failed internet connection (Windows XP Home, SP 2) I installed Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 (probably a beta version) that wasn't downloaded from the windows website. I've since uninstalled it, so I am now running IE 6, but IE 7 left something behind. Now, when I connect to the internet I get to my home page, but when I select a link I get a blank web page and the error message "Windows cannot find ‘(null)’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.”

Through research on the internet I've found that the registry key "C93E5AB5-7B71-4C31-B6B2-7F922A551EFF" needs to be deleted to fix my problem. I've tried with no success. I've tried adding "Everyone" to the registry users, changing the permissions so all users can access the registry and tried to delete the key, downloaded Registry Fix software, I've tried deleting it using regedit and regedt32 and I've run the program IE7betakey.reg with no success.

I can temporarily delete the key, but it always comes back.

Any suggestions?

SteveG297
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Try rebooting your computer and entering into "Safe Mode", so that your
computer boots up into windows without loading any software that might interfere
with the registry.

Simply open the registry and try removing it now, then reboot.
See if this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51,987 Posts
Can you link to the advice?

All I could find was that the CLSID (Avi DivX Mux) belonged to "Avi DivX Mux" and had nothing to do with IE.

Also, run Autoruns and look for missing files in the right pane. Delete references to anything missing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try rebooting your computer and entering into "Safe Mode", so that your
computer boots up into windows without loading any software that might interfere
with the registry.

Simply open the registry and try removing it now, then reboot.
See if this helps.
I tried running in Safe Mode, but it did not fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elvandil,

What Advice should I link to?

I ran Autoruns and unchecked everything that had "File Not Found" error in the column to the right. That seemed to work for a while and then, after going through other users and back to the Administrator, the problem came back.

SteveG297
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Sounds like you had a shortcut file which somehow invoked an avi multiplex stream (IE you had a windows desktop shortcut or similar or a home page ) which opened a site calling for this codec (The AVI DIVX MUX) and somehow that got bound to IE.
The normal fix of this is to find the shortcut, favorite , or whatever which launches this and delete the shortcut (or active desktop entry)

That or you had one of the malware group which installs as a media codec and includes a bho and it was using this clsid under false pretenses . I forget which one does this; but have seen it.
It works by changing the command line (using the -e switch) for IE to make it run in explorer mode
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe –e \\clsid or file name

Given the nature of your error, I would suggest you go to the malware board and post a hijackthis log to be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I thought the problem was fixed, and it was for about 15 minutes. The registry key that I originally referenced was the wrong one. This is the key that is the issue: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6} NOT the one originally posted. I thought I had deleted the key with Registrar Registry Manager, but it came back.

SteveG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem has been solved! The following steps were provided by another forum:

Navigate to the key mentioned previously. Right mouse click the key and choose Permissions, Click Advanced and disable the 'inherit permissions' tickbox, choosing the remove option when prompted followed by Apply
Tick the option to 'replace permission entries', followed by Apply again
Click OK. Try Internet Explorer again.

Apparently, I wasn't changing the permissions correctly. Once I replaced the permissions for the registry key the problem disappeared!!

Thanks,

SteveG
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top