Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, my problem is this, i decided to reinstall on one of our home pc,s, a process that im fairly familiar with,having done so in the past, everything went according to plan until i had almost finished installing all our personal apps etc. and then i got a warning balloon pop up stating delayed write failed blah blah blah, and very soon the pc became unworkable, system restore,norton go-back even safe mode would not work so i reinstalled again being very careful just in case i had previously made a mistake that i was not aware of, everything went fine and the pc was running nice, But alas that did not happen for very long as after my better half used it for a few hours up came the delayed write failed warning again and i was shocked to see how quickly it messed things up, the warning points to a hardware or network connection problem(possibly) but im fairly certain this is not the case as ive seen this warning come up on a brand new pc which now works perfectly without any recurring write issues and some time ago i saw it come up on another pc and eventually it stopped on its own without doing any noticeable damage, i dont mind reinstalling 1 more time if i can avoid a repeat of this problem but i really need to sort it out as im sure most of you know how much time and work goes into setting up a pc the os is just a small part of it so if anyone(s) can help i would appreciate it , sorry for the long winded confusing thread and thanks in advance.

Bill.

Compaq Evo p4 2.0 running xp pro all updates.

PS. I had a slight idea that it might be a virus as it began as soon as we started using limewire on both occasions, i download the prog itself from the official site. just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My guess would be that the drive is knackered since it happens so consistently. The strenuous format reinstalling XP might have been the final straw. That or a cable might have come loose ever so slightly and it only came into effect after a while by pure coincidence, though thats not likely. Check the cables anyway.
It may well have started failing from the get go but only decided it was worth telling you about after a while. Run chkdsk on it or some other fault checking software. If that comes out with problems that it can fix, carry on using it for an hour or two, then check it again. If it has more errors then the drives screwed. If it's clean then it could be an unfortunate virus as you say, but it doesnt seem likely having such violent effects.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi qwasqaws, thanks for your reply, now thats something i dont know very much about but i did have the cover off so its always possible i disturbed the cables, but exactly what drive are you talking about and how can i go about replacing/repairing it if it turns out to be so. many thanks

Bill

ps come to mention it i do recall seeing it somewhere that a piece of hardware was not connected but i paid it little attention as at the time i was sure everything was as before, i dont know what prog i was using at the time, i have now pushed the cables on tightly but is there a definite way to test the drive before i reinstall and find out then that the drive has had it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it was the drive that it said wasnt connected at all while it was running I think it would cause more problems than that, though I cant say I've tried it.
If you dont know what you're doing you should probably take it to a reputable repair guy or ask a friend or if you have a tech guy at work or something. If you want to do it yourself, boot from the XP cd. Make sure the BIOS boot order has the cd drive set first. Run the recovery console then type "chkdsk c: /f". This will check the disk for any errors and fix them if it can. If you reinstall XP after this and it still messes up then it's time to replace the hard drive. If you dont know what the poo I'm talking about, it's probably best to take it to a techie. Less likely to break something else.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks quasqaws, it just so happens that i had a brand new hard drive that i had bought for another pc lying about and as i type it installing xp on the 1 in question as i thought rather than mess around with the old one replace it so hopefully this will work i have also changed the strap/connector just in case and already it sounds like a new pc, anyways many thanks for your advice and help in identifying the possible cause .

BILL

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update for those that may be interested.

installed xp on new drive, problem soon returned, researched it and found a lot of references to Maxtor drives causing this problem with certain motherboards etc. Switched the drive to a new Hitachi drive, installed xp again for the 5th time and like before it waited until i had most of my fav progs installed and back it came, by now my patience was severly tested, in fact i was close to throwing it out of the window but after a sleepless night i decided not to be beaten so off i went and researched it some more even though i had just bought my partner a new pc which cost me over £400. microsoft,s solutions just would not work for one reason or another but luckily i eventually found another way to try on some obscure google page which directed to the soul(registry) of the pc, now with my level of experience this was serious stuff, but in i went to the dark realms of this now redundant pc visiting places i never knew existed and after finding the right place it turned out that the reg key i needed does not exist by default(oh please) so i had to create it(now things are getting really serious) so after doing so i made a rapid retreat to the relative safety of the usual xp os. and even then the same message/warning popped up in all it,s glory . Eventually i managed to get chkdisk to work which previously it would not nor would system restore nor norton go back(my only norton product) and luckily there was not too much corruption(for a change), so after running it a couple of times things settled down and soon things were running as normal.(Praise the Lord) and now after running it hard for a couple of days everything appears ok. Sorry for the long winded post but this i just had to share(makes me feel better). Now ive just got to figure out what to do with it.

Bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.