Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined. Happy to be here:p due to Gizmo, with whom you are NUMBER ONE:up: .
---> http://techsupportalert.com/best_free_tech_support_sites.htm

Suspect: Power Supply
Verdict: Caput!
This Dell Dim 2350 with Pentium4 has a green light on the motherboard which is always on when the system is plugged in. But not now! It also has 4 diagnostic lights on the back, also not on. Plus I've followed most of the proceedures I've found on Tech Guy :)) ) with no sign of life.

What are the chances the power supply is good?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Pretty good, or you better hope thats the problem. If its the motherboard thats much worse.

That Dell uses a standard PSU as far as I can tell. If you have access to another power supply then give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and ordered a motherboard.

One of my tests, suggested on TechGuy, was to completely disconnect the power supply and short the green and black leads on the 20-pin bundle. I guessing the green would be for 'turn on please' and black for ground. Of course there were 6 blacks so I tried 2, one on each side of the green. So would this be a definitive test or nonsense?

And thanks for getting back so quickly. It looks like Gizmo was right!

·
Registered
317 Posts
aguyfan said:
I went ahead and ordered a motherboard.

One of my tests, suggested on TechGuy, was to completely disconnect the power supply and short the green and black leads on the 20-pin bundle. I guessing the green would be for 'turn on please' and black for ground. Of course there were 6 blacks so I tried 2, one on each side of the green. So would this be a definitive test or nonsense?

And thanks for getting back so quickly. It looks like Gizmo was right!
that test only shows if it is dead it doesn't show if it's good. there
is still alot that could be bad with the power supply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.