Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has an HP Pavilion dv5000. Her laptop won't completely boot. It seems to be in an infinate loop. It won't boot from last good configuration or boot normally. Ran Norton Utilities and seemed to have found an error on the boot disk and it corrected problem found but still will not boot. What do I do next?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Some questions first please;

1) What operating system is she running, XP, 2000, ME ?
2) When you say "won't boot completely." where does it stop and do you get any error messages at that point?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Operating System is Windows XP.

The system will not boot in safety mode either. Did a diagnostics and it is getting a test fail 07.

Norton Utilities finds and correct FAT problems but system still does not boot. I do get a flash of what looks like a blue screen of death.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sounds like it could be the hard drive, i had that happen before with my laptop and even though i used utilities to fix hard disk errors i ended up having to re-install windows(repair install first) to fix it, ive also seen it just be a bad harddrive

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Which means you must be getting to a command prompt, right? If so have you tried restoring to a previous state using the System Restore tool?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No..when selecting safe mode with command prompt, I get this:

multi(0)disk(0(rdisk(0(partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS or
multi(0)disk(0(rdisk(0(partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

It's a listing that covers the page but never provide the actual prompt for typing.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Katy Girl said:
I'm trying one that I have it states that is it not finding any hard drives, I would suspect at this point her hard drive is bad and needs replaced.
When you boot from the CD-ROM (I assume you did this when prompted or you chose this in the BIOS setup) did you choose "R" for repair?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Have you tried going into the Bios (F2 or a compilation of other keys) setting your computer to boot (boot order) from the optical drive (cd-rom)?

That would help with reading the cd in the drive on bootup....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.