Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that you can tell what type of memory will work best on your maching by the data buss speed.

my system data buss speed is 400mhz.......the same guy told me that matches with DDR2100

he said if your buss speed was 800mhz or 1066mhz that the memory you would use would be different.

Is this true ? - and if so does anyone know where I can find a chart that has buss speed and the corresponding memory Thanks - Dan

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
There are of course different types of RAM. Often today variations on a type called SDRAM (synchronous dynamic random access memory). It's called synchronous because it's tied into or synchronized with the system clock speed. DDR SDRAM or Double Data Rate SDRAM, basically "works twice" for every clock cycle.

In your example if the bus is running at 400mHz this would be called DDR400 or if you multiply the speed by 8 (the width of DDR SDRAM in bytes) you would get 8 x 400 or 3200. It's usual to put PC in front of that and you have PC3200.

Edit: I don't know about charts but this is a good place for memory info

Crucial

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
DDR400 RAM runs at 200MHz x 2, which is appropriate for an 800FSB (200MHz x 4 FSB) Pentium 4, or an AthlonXP 3200+ (200MHz x 2 FSB) or Athlon64. If your system data bus is 400MHz, I would assume it's a Pentium 4 or Celeron (running at 100MHz x 4 FSB) which can use PC1600/DDR200 or faster RAM. You can often run the RAM faster or slower than the FSB. I would tend to buy PC2700/DDR333 or PC3200/DDR400 RAM even if your system doesn't need RAM that fast, there is little price difference these days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The folks at Gateway say that they recommend PC2100, BUT they normally don't know what they are talking about. Yes, I have a Pentium 4...1.6ghz.

So what your saying is normally you can buy memory that is faster? So, there's very little chance that PC2700 won't work on my system.

In general what would be the advantage of getting memory that runs quicker than what the system can handle ?

Thanks for the info :)

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Well one advantage is that you can upgrade the CPU or reuse it in a faster system. Also it is sometimes possible to buy the faster RAM cheaper, this sometimes happens. And if you use only the faster RAM it may actually run at the faster speed and improve performance ever so slightly as long as the motherboard has the ability to run the RAM at a faster speed and at a different speed from the CPU FSB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.