Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a built PC, put it together and is up and running. I've got a 40 GB hard drive that I partitioned, using Disk Manager, into 4 partitions of 10GB each, with C as the bootable drive and primary DOS partition. My question is- how can I make the other three drives primary DOS partitions?@ Right now, drives D,E, and F are partitioned in one extended DOS partition (that's what Disk Manager did), and because it is 30GB (larger than 20GB), my system hangs in POST startup when starting Win98SE. I have the Win Me upgrade but don't want to upgrade till I solve this problem. Eventually I want to install a different OS on each partition (i.e. Japanese on C, and English on D, perhaps Linux on E, and keep F for backup), so I need to have the other drives (D,E,F) as primary DOS bootable partitions. I tried FDISK but it won't allow me to change the extended partition to primary. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Cheers.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but you can only have one primary dos partition per physical drive.

the other partitions don't need to be primary dos partitions if your planning on dual or triple booting. But unless your going to run 2k or xp your going to need a boot manager to handle the bootmenu loading. And I am not sure if the linux boot manager will handle what you want to do either

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. On my previous computer, the guy I bought it from created 3 primary DOS partitions on a 2.2GB drive (partitioned into 1.2GB, 800MB, and approx 200MB, and I could change between Japanese and English OS's using FDISK when restarting my computer in MS DOS mode. Before he had System Commander installed, but he got rid of it for me.
Excuse me for my ignorance, but I don't know anything about Boot Manager.
Anyway, creating the primary DOS partitions is not that urgent as I have lots of space (more than I need), but how can I stop the system from hanging during POST?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It hangs for a few minutes, but Windows eventually starts up. Is this caused by having a partition larger than 23GB? (In Disk Manager Help, I read something about that... the reason for the hang during POST might be because of the size of the extended DOS partition)
Do I have to change some settings? Right now I am thinking of just starting over from scratch and creating two partitions of 20 gigs each.
I've been thinking about using Partition Magic to repartition my hard drive. Any thoughts?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
I don't do partitions, so can't help you there....I just leave my drive all one big happy drive......

I would take a look at what's loading in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys to see if something is slowing it down there.....

Also, once you get to the windows desktop, take a look at:

start button, run, then type msconfig.....what is there for the startup items?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
I did as you said and went into msconfig, System Setup Utility, and on the Start up Tab, all items are checked:
internat.exe
scanregw.exe /autorun
taskmon.exe
SysTray.exe
Rundll32.exe pwrprof.dll,LoadCurrent PwrScheme
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SISTRAY.EXE
pctptt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CpeStart.exe
Rundll32.exe porprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrSheme
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
ptsnoop.exe
-->all the above are listed in the right hand column; power scheme is listed twice... I don't know what I'm doing in there, so I won't touch anything unless you think I should....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to Paul D,
In the extended DOS partition, I have three logical drives, D, E, and F, each around 10GB.

to AcaCandy,
Sorry about that-- I forgot to check the autoexec.bat and config.sys tabs.
first, in the general tab, default start up is checked.

In the Config.sys tab,
there are 8 devices; all of them checked.
first one has the Microsoft Logo beside it
device=C:\WINDOWS\himem.sys
device=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\biling.sys
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\jfont.sys /p=C:\WINDOWS
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\jdisp.sys
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWSjkeyb.sys /106 c:\WINDOWS\jkeybrd.sys
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\kkcfunc.sys
devicehigh=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ansi.sys

In the Autoexec.bat tab, the last item is checked, the "rem" items have no checkbox beside them:

rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net initialize
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\msdlc.exe
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net start
rem - By Windows 98 MSDLC - net start
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net initialize
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\msdlc.exe
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WINDOWS\net start
rem - By Windows 98 MSDLC - net start
loadhigh C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\nlsfunc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\country.sys

If that information gives you any clues as to what might be the problem, please let me know. Thank You!!

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
I'd definitely start by unchecking these in the msconfig startup:

Did you do the windows 98se update over a windows 95 installation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by AcaCandy
I'd definitely start by unchecking these in the msconfig startup:

Okay, I have done that and restarted, now it hangs in POST for 55 seconds (I timed it), so it is an improvement, and i can live with that, and the Office task bar is now gone, which was rather annoying. Is some hang time normal? I really have no idea when it comes to large HDDs. Thank you!

Did you do the windows 98se update over a windows 95 installation?
I did a clean install of Win98se (Japanese) and am considering an upgrade to Win ME.

Thanks again for your time and help.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
I think all your keyboard settings are slowing down your start as well....but I think you probably need those for your fonts, language, etc.

There's always going to be some lag time.....when you're in a hurry, it always seems it takes longer.... ;)

Also, you can experiment with the msconfig tab....uncheck everything except the load power schemes, systray and scanreg.....restart the computer....if you miss something, go back and place the check mark in it again......and restart....

And just my two centavos, I wouldn't upgrade ME over 98.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to AcaCandy,

Thanks for your advice about the startup settings; I will play around with them to see if I can reduce the lag time, but I agree that it probably is necessary to load the Japanese fonts and language... and I won't bother with the Me upgrade either. Gracias!

to Paul D,

What kind of partitioning scheme would you recommend for my system? Should I make the primary partition larger and reduce the size of the logical drives?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Actually, I'd make the Primary smaller.
One day you'll want/need to reinstall, and you can save yourself some pain if the primary is lean and mean. Just the operating system, shared files, common files (same thing, I guess) and the swap file, and you can put that on another drive as well if you want to. 2gb is generally enough for 98, but you may want more for ME. Also, if it's small enough, you can keep a Ghost image of it on another drive as a fallback.

I'm not saying you need to go this far, but I have 13 logical drives - C: to O: on 50gb of Hard Drive space. I just think of them as big folders.
C: is the OS as above, then I have 2 applications (programs) folders (one for MS stuff and one for other apps), 3 music folders, one for images, one for a ghost of C:, one for data files (easier to back up if they're on their own), one for my son, one for my son-in-law, one for games and one for storage (drivers, install programs and general odds & ends.) Just suits me that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Paul D,

Thanks for your advice. So what you're saying is that I need at least 5 partitions, probably 6 is better, to keep each one under 8 gigs each?

How should I go about repartitioning the HD so that I don't have to re-install everything? My guess is that I should copy everything from C: to one of the logical drives, repartition C, then copy back to C, then repartition the extended partition with the desired number of logical drives?

Also, pertaining to my original question, have you ever heard of having multiple primary DOS partitions on one hard disk? As I mentioned near the beginning of this thread, my old computer's HD has 3 primary DOS partitions. I take it that FDISK cannot perform this operation, but does Partition Magic have that capability? What did you use to partition your hard drive?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I Used PM5

It would need some planning, as applications need to end up on the same drive they started on, or the registry will be confused - although I believe PM7 has a thing called Magic Mover which can overcome that.

Back up any valuable data off disk before you start.

Don't try to do everything at once - keep each step it simple.

Most important. Make sure that PM itself stays on the same drive throughout. The last thing you want to do is lose PM in the process.

As to the multiple primaries, sorry, no idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, thanks for your help. I will have to give it some careful thought before I do anything though... but I will definitely make an off-disk backup as you suggested.

Thanks alot-- I think all of you guys/gals are great!

·
Registered
257 Posts
A little after the fact, but partition magic will create more then one primary drive. But, windows 98 will not recognize more then one. I'm not sure about ME. Before I would even get partition magic, I would find out if ME or any other operating systems will recognize more then one primary partition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.