Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Don't know if this is the right category but I've found a few similar posts and they all seem to have been taken off because no one answered.

I got a laptop for Christmas and as far as I can remember its had a problem with headphones- anything that is plugged into the laptop gets an increasingly louder static noise as I increase the volume. The static doesn't play out of the normal speakers and doesn't continue once the laptop is put into standby or hibernate.

It's not the headphones. I have tried many different pairs and they all have the same problem. Using a headphone splitter has the same problem.

It's not external interference- it happens everywhere I go.

I've checked everything has the most recent update

This is the specs from the automatic thing:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 4021 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152619 MB, Free - 45026 MB; D: Total - 437854 MB, Free - 437711 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K42JA, 1.0, NB-1234567890
Antivirus: Trend Micro OfficeScan Antivirus, Updated and Enabled
Audio: ATI High Definition Audio, Blue-tooth Hands Free Audio, Realtek High Definition Audio

Any help would be appreciated- I have searched through the net and a bunch of forums but none have helped.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
It sounds most likely that this laptop has an electrical fault and as it will most probably be under guarantee you should return it for repair or replacement.

About the only thing you can try is to uninstall the sound drivers in the Device Manager and then reboot so the drivers get reinstalled. You will have to locate the sound device then right click on it and select uninstall.

I notice from the specs you have both Realtek and ATI sounds devices which seems a bit strange, it's normally one or the other.

What is the Make and model number of the PC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wrote the audio bit- wasn't sure which one it was because I just went to the device manage and copied what was there. Under sound, video and game controllers it says ATI High Definition Audio Device, Bluetooth Hands-free Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio. When I click on the little speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the laptop it says in brackets "Realtek High Definition Audio" so Im assuming thats whatever it uses.

Not exactly sure what make and model is- is that just Asus Notebook K42JA Series (which it says in control panel-system-model) ?
Sorry, I'm not that great at the specifics, my main experience is trying to configure things for my technologically incompetent friends and I can follow instructions fine.

Thanks anyway, If you have any other suggestions I'll try them before I uninstall anything because that sounds like something i could stuff up really easily.

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Uninstalling sound drivers is perfectly safe as the OS stores a copy it will reinstall when you reboot.

The details you gave above are the make and model number, that's all I needed.

I checked the drivers for this PC and it only has one driver for sound which is Realtek. There is no mention of ATI which is for a Radeon device. Confused? well I am.

Go to the Audio drivers in Device Manager and uninstall both the ATI and the Realtek, then reboot.

See what it reinstalls as it gets back to the desktop and try your sound again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I uninstalled that ATI and there was no difference. Then I uninstalled the Realtek and straight away the noise stopped. Just rebooted and its working fine- can put it on maximum volume without any static. I guess something was messed up with the drivers? The ATI one appeared again- on my laptop it has little stickers for ATI mobility radeon graphics don't know if thats related? anyway its all fixed.

Anyway thanks so much!

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Glad to hear that resolved the problem. It would seem the drivers had not been installed correctly from the start causing a conflict. You did have two Audio drivers and now you have one Audio and one for the Graphics which is how it should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.