Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to connect a printer to a laptop over a network, without a desktop pc connected to the printer. This printer isn't a wireless printer, but i'm fairly sure that it is connect to the wireless modem. The laptop is an oldish dell latitude d505 running windows XP. The problem i'm having is that the printer used to be the desktop printer, but since the desktop is no longer there, I think its causing the issues between the printer and the laptop. If it is a very arduous process then I may just get a wireless printer. Thanks in advance for any of your help.

If this has already been covered in another post, i'm sorry, I didn't see it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If the printer isn't a network capable printer, there's no way you're going to connect it without at least a Print Server, router with a print server feature, or having it connected to a computer of some sort and sharing it.

You need to specify the EXACT make/model of the printer and how it's connected to your network.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The printer is a HP Office Jet 6310 All-in-One. Its connected to a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router directly with an Ethernet cable. The laptop is connected over the wireless internet. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Is there not an HP software package that installs and connects the printer and installs a bunch of other HP programs?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Yep, I'd start from scratch and use the HP software to find and connect the printer.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since it connects with Ethernet, it IS a network printer, right? :)

If it's a USB printer, there has to be a print server or computer that it connects to. Some routers have a print server function, and you can also buy stand-alone print servers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that worked. It seems that whoever tried to install it before me just installed it as a usb printer, instead of a network printer. Once I deleted the old drivers and reinstalled everything work.

Thanks you both for all your help!

Ivan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.