Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm really unsure how to word this when i try to google it. i have zero networking abilities and just want to run my laptop off my DSL connection at home.

can anyone get me started here?

(both windows xp and have ethernet cards)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You need a simple broadband router. I'd get a wireless one, even if you don't plan on using it right away. Since they're much more popular, they're actually cheaper than wired only models. If you don't use the wireless, you can simply disable it.

What is the make/model of your DSL modem? You may already have a router and not even know it. :D

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, then you already have the equipment for a wired connection, just run a cable from the router to the laptop.

If you want to run a wireless connection, then you'll need a wireless access point or router. Typically, a wireless router will be cheaper than an AP, so you can use one of those with the following configuration.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what would be the advantage of wireless?

i'm just wanting it for just a few extra random task, or maybe to play 2 characters on the mmorpg i play.

if i dont do wireless, then you are saying i just need to run a wire from one that isnt occupied? (and i think the usb is the only 1 that is open)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Other than portability of the wireless station, or the fact that running a wire might be difficult, there is no advantage to wireless. There are also a lot of disadvantages, which is why the only wireless I use normally is my laptop.

You can't use the USB connection for connecting to a router.

Maybe you should give the make/model of the modem, router, etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i can do that when i get home

thats the main question i'm wanting answered, just how to use the comp and laptop at the same time. i have plenty of desk space for the laptop right by the router. so the whole issue of running wires wouldnt be a problem. i'm just unsure of how to get them both going through the 1 connection i have in that room

but ill get the make and stuff when i get off work

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you have a router with two Ethernet ports, and enough CAT5 patch cables, it's just plug-n-play. The installed defaults for the network in the laptop should get you connected.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since this is a wired only modem with a single Ethernet port, my advice would be to configure it for bridged mode and buy a wireless broadband router to do your sharing. You can turn off the wireless if you don't need it, but it's much easier to find the wireless models at cheap prices, and they have all the wired capability.

Bridging the Westell C90-610030-06 Modem will tell you how to configure the modem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.