Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i want to link my modem/router, to my other belkin router.

basically i want to use my modem/router as the modem, and use my belkin router as the main internet connection source

can anyone help do this or direct me?

my modem/router is the netgear dg834gt, and my belkin router is the F5D7231-4P

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well seeing as this is the techguy i was hoping for some assitance from here

just the basics i need to know such as which router to switch dhcp on etc..

·
Banned
457 Posts
I wish I could help you but as far as configuring a new router for even myself I have to contact my ISP since its there security information that has to be enter. If that is not the case anyone who has a router would have access to the internet.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at above, thats if i wanted to use my router as an access point which i already have

i want to configure it so when i plug the cable into the internet port on the router it will work. currently its connected via the switches.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, if you want the modem/router to be a modem-only, you'll have to find out how to configure it in bridge mode, then use the router in a standard mode. Otherwise, you'll have two NAT layers, which will make port forwarding very difficult.

One other option is to daisy-chain them and configure the DMZ on the modem/router for the second router. That will essentially make the primary router transparent and eliminate the issue of dual NAT layers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive flashed my netgear d834gt with the the firmware which has a modem only mode, however when i connect it too the belkin through wan port i get on internet

in the belkin i cant choose PPPOA which is what my isp uses,

i can only choose static, dynamic, PPPOE,

can you suggest what i need to confiure on my router? ive input username and pass in PPPOE on my router bu no connection

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'm stunned that the Belkin doesn't offer PPPoA capability! I checked their site, and you're correct, they simply don't support it.

You can still configure a static address on the D-Link and put it into the DMZ. Then, in the WAN section of the Belkin, configure the same static IP address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This will essentially do the same thing as bridge mode, and it's how I was using my Verizon FiOS modem when it was having issues.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what d link?

mines a netgear d834gt, and ive put it into modem only mode (as it was orginally a router and modem), i have flashed it with the dgteam firmware

however i cant get back onto it again without resetting the rotuer back to default.

so when im back on it what shold i change on my modem? i cant configure much on it

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The IP address will be the one that you use for the DMZ specification on the Netgear router.

The ISP Gateway is the base address of the Netgear router, and you should have an option to enter the DNS Server address, which is the same as the ISP Gateway address in this configuration.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so my netgear ip is 192.168.0.1

ive resetted belkin so what should i set my ip for my belkin and what should the dchp range be?

also then would i dmz an ip from the netgear to the belkin? im not sure i can do that as theres no dmz option when in modem mode but ill look agen

also would i choose static ip from the list on the belkin? then put the ip of the dmz and subnet mask and the gateway which is 192.168.0.1

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The base IP address for the Belkin can be anything but 192.168.0.x, I think their default is 192.168.2.1, which is just fine.

After the reset, all you have to do is configure the WAN connection as we discussed, and make any wireless adjustments you need.

Remember, it won't work until the Netgear is configured for the matching IP address in the DMZ! And, make sure that IP address you use is outside the range of the Netgear DHCP server unless nothing else will ever connect to the Netgear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how would i set the netgear up because i dont think theres an option for that in modem only mode.

also the netgear doesnt have any dhcp?? only the belkin does.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
right heres some print screens, maybe these could help you explain to me what i need to do.

netgear router (in modem only mode)

belkin router (static ip page) (lan ip is set to 192.168.2.1)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since the Netgear has a 192.168.0.1 IP address, it's clearly performing the routing function through a NAT layer. That being the case, on one of those menus, there should be an option to configure the DMZ.

[WEBQUOTE="http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/DG834.aspx"]DMZ support allows unrestricted access from the Internet to one computer (for hosting web services). [/WEBQUOTE]Obviously, Netgear thinks it has DMZ capability.

What is the firmware you used that gives "modem only mode"?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.