Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have read dozens of "how to" articles on how to connect both my laptop & my desktop PC's via a wireless modem router.
At the moment, both machines are connected to the internet through this router (Netgear DG834G v2) and work fine.
However, I have no success at all in being able to connect the 2 machines together - ie, send a file from on machine to the other via the wireless connection.

Can someone please help me with simple to understand instructions ?

Many thanks for your help in advance
Phibes

·
Registered
124 Posts
What OS are you using?
On XP, you go to Control Panel -> Network + Internet Connections -> Set up a wireless network for a home or small office -> Follow the wizard through. You will need a USB stick at the ready to save the file made by the wizard onto, then plug it into the other computer, and run the file that is now saved on the memory stick.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are they both running the same OS? There are known problems with sharing files between XP and Vista, google for details.

If they're both XP (may be some slight differences with Vista):
- first of all disable any software firewalls on both machines
- give the PCs unique names (right click on My Computer->Properties, Computer Name tab)
- in the same tab make them part of the same workgroup e.g. mynetwork1
- under network properties make sure that both PCs have file and print sharing for microsoft networks installed and enabled
- under windows explorer Tools->Folder Options, View make sure that use simple file sharing is selected.
- right-click on a folder choose sharing and security, click share this folder on the network and give it a name
- on the other pc in windows explorer type \\computername in the address bar and press return where computername is the name that you gave to the other PC
- you should see the shared folder you setup earlier, if not then post back with error messages etc.

Once this is working you can re-enable software filrewalls and if this breaks the connection then you will need to setup a firewall rule to allow it.

Slainte

midders

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys,
As ever, I forgot to give all the relevant information...

Both laptop & Desktop are running Vista Home Premium..
Some time ago, when both machines were using XP Pro, I tried Bondy111's method as outlined above, but never got it to work. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JohnWill,

I've just had a quick look at the tutorial you recommend. I'm affraid this is where my technical inefficiency becomes glaringly obvious :confused:

Both my laptop and my desktop PC are already connected to the internet via my Netgear wireless router. Both work fine. What I am trying to achieve is the ability to send a file from my laptop, over to my desktop PC via wireless, and vice versa, also to be able to use my laptop to access the printer that is attached to the desktop PC, if possible.

Does the method in the above tutorial affect my already stable internet connection on both machines ? As I don't want to lose this connection.

Appologies if my lack of knowledge is annoying :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi JohnWill,

Just about to try the method in your link. Before I do so, I have read through the instructions. I'm not sure if I have the correct setup. The tutorial makes reference to one PC being connected THROUGH the other PC to the internet. I don't think this is the case with my setup, where both PC's individually access the router (not one through the other)

Does this matter ? Or should I change the way my second PC connects to the internet ?

Many thanks for your assistance.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Look at post #7, that's the correct procedure for you. I failed to take notice of the router, which is why I posted what I did in post # 5, that's incorrect for your configuration.

Again, File and Print Sharing Tutorial (CNET) is what you want to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.