Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a dvd burner today and installed it, anyhow turned computer on and it said secondary channel IDE 80 conductor not installed, i presumed the cable i have isnt that, so i took the dvd burner out and put my cd rom back, but computer just wont restart now, well only in safe mode, which i am in now

It gets up to password check which is auto then it justs goes black and back to restart screen again, i dont have a password set so this usually just flashes up and dissapears when computer is working normally

I have windows 2000 running, i also tried to boot from cd and done repair, this didnt help at all

I have checked all the cables and everything seems to be plugged in right and firmly, i am getting no error msgs at startup

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
46,562 Posts
First go back and recheck ALL connections in the system; atx power, all molex, all ide cables, etc. It is very easy to knock something loose when working inside the case.

Next if that does not work, power down and pull the power connectors from ALL drives; both optical and hd. Disconnect ALL usb devices, disconnect any printer, scanner, etc. Leave just your keyboard connected. Now power up the system and see if it will post and you can enter the bios. If it does post OK, then power down and connect devices one at a time until you find the failed part.

If it does not post, you may have damaged the board while working inside the case.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By disconnecting all drives do you mean the cdroms as well or just external stuff?
Nevermind i presume you meant the internal drives as well

I have checked all connections in the box and the all look fine, i did take out fan and clean that but its working fine and seems to be connected right

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
46,562 Posts
Yes, ALL drives optical [CD / DVD] and hd. This will tell you if there is a problem with the board, cpu, memory, or ps OR you have a problem with another piece of hardware.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I unplugged everything and still wont start up normally, only in safe mode, what i dont understand though is if its the board then how can start up in safe mode, wouldnt it not start at all?

this is frustrating!!! i have checked everything is plugged in right and it all looks right as far as i can see, but i have no clue what the bits and pieces are on the board itself so no idea if something is amiss there

Can i just run it ok in safe mode to use the net or will it eventually just not turn back on, dont have the money to upgrade or fix it for a month or so

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
46,562 Posts
Obviously you have not unplugged everything if you are getting into safe mode. Windows must be loading from your hd. Safe mode is a function of windows NOT your motherboard.

If you are getting to safe mode, then your board, cpu, power supply should be OK and it is a windows problem.

First backup anything you want to save ie docs, mp3s, etc. Now boot with your win2k CD and do a clean install. I would recommend a repair install, however you posted that you have already tried that option.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry i didnt realise it meant unplug harddrive as well so no i didnt actually unplug that but did unplug everything else

I ended up doing fresh install as it started to freeze in safe mode, working ok again now, but i only have 64mb of memory instead of 256 that i used to have, so maybe the problem is with the memory chips not working

I also put the dvd burner back in again and it works ok but slower as i was told it might, but still plays the dvds fine from initial testing

Hopefully the patch over will keep it going for awhile longer until i can afford a new system

thanks for your help and sorry for misunderstanding with what to unplug i was a bit flustered with it all at the time :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.