Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system
Antec 900 case
Antec 550 Neo HE PSU
MSI P965 Neo-motherboard
Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHTZ cpu
2x2GB Corsair XMS PC-6400 Memory
Samsung 400GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
Sony DVD ROM IDE
PNY Geforce 8600gts (old video card)
PNY XLR8 GTS 250 1gb (new video card)
Windows 7 RC1 64bit

I pulled the other card out and replaced it with the new one. Windows started up just fine and the driver installation went through. I went to Nvidia and got the latest driver. The install for that went well also. I turend my computer off and loaded it up to go play World of Warcraft at a buddies house. I hooked up my computer and it would not Load the IDE Sony drive. I restarted and it booted right up. I loaded WOW and then the computer froze. I pressed the reset button and windows got to the welcome screen and locked up for about 5 minutes then loaded the desktop. I loaded firefox and the computer froze again. I waited for it to give me control again, then I uninstalled the driver and restarted. Windows got to the welcome screen and froze again. I powered the computer down. unplugged it and removed the DVD-rom drive from the configureation. Same problem. I loaded up my computer, took it back to my house and took made sure all wires were okay, also checked the motherboard for broken or busted capacitors. Everything looks good. I have reinstalled windows 7 and the problem is not as bad but still there. I have nothing installed (other than drivers, updates and AVG. I exceed all of the system requirements for the video card. it calls for a 450watt PSU..If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be thankful. This has me stumped.

Also when the computer freezes the HDD LED on my case is on it normaly blinks when it's busy but when it freezes it stays on with no blinking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm the only thing that I can think of is a faulty GFX card.

Try putting the old card back in to see if it works. If that works without a problem then the the new card may be faulty.
Perhaps getting in contact with nVidia to see if there are any compatability issues, it might just be incompatible with other hardware you have.

If the old card gives you the same problems as the new card it is possible the PCI-E slot has been slightly damaged.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thank you! I did notice that the card didnt come with some of the package contents (i bought it at bestbuy) it didnt have the quick install guide or any registration info or the install cd. I'll contact nvidia tomorrow and probably take that card back to bestbuy.. Is there anyway I can test the card to see if it's the culprit (just out of my own curiousity)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.