Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast has taken over my cable ISP .. And I’ll have to switch soon :mad:

I see that Comcast provides McAfee free.
I’m currently running AVG and ZoneAlarm.
Is Comcast’s version of McAfee any good, does it slow the system down like Norton or CA ??
Any advise/comments appreciated.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
When I had McAfee four years ago it wasn't too bad, but with each new version that came out it became more and more bloated. I finally gave up when McAfee had 13 processes running (at the minimum) and I only had the firewall and anti-virus installed.

That's when I switched to AVG and my system's running a lot smoother.

·
Registered
253 Posts
AVG is much better.
AND
I feel sorry for you. I was one of the first people in my city to subscribe to cable internet service when it became available.
i had it for years and years, enjoyed the speed and stability.
Comcast moved in last summer. By December I had dumped cable all together in favor of DSL and sattelite TV.

Maybe you will have a better experience, but I doubt it.
I'm not the only one, by far, who now hates Camcast!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/17/AR2007101702359.html

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
McAfee and Norton should be put in the same boat and then sunk. I've had unhappy experiences with both of them. I had the option to use McAfee for free with a former ISP but it was just not worth the trouble.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TX for the McAfee feedback .. think I'll stay with AVG, Zone Alarm, WinPatrol ..
... And the ultimate cure for all - Acronis TI.

Been wondering about Comcast .. I've notice they've started hijacking the HNN channel with marketing junk.
The local paper has an article about how bad they are .. promised no price increase .. then snail mailed the new prices.

AT&T has been knocking on doors trying to get us to switch.
I asked the sales lady how many addresses and personal pages we got.
After a blank stare .. she got on her cell phone .. (she had direct numbers to AT&T)
After about an hour of being bounced around (the good ole AT&T phone tag game)...
she couldn't find anyone who knew what she was talking about.
I told her if this was going to be as bad as my Phone service support .. Forget it.

been thinking about looking into satellite .. or finding a new hobby.
If Vista and Comcast is a preview of the future .. think I'll go fishin.

How do you like you satellite ?? ... which one ??

·
Registered
253 Posts
I subscribed to Dish TV.......I do like it! Better than I thought I would.
I worried about bad weather outages, but that has only happened once, for about 20 minutes, since December. My picture is good, the channels are the ones I want and the price is much lower than I was paying for cable.
I have called their tech support twice, and both times I did not have to wait long and the rep fixed the problem quicky. My wonderful little granddaughter had pushed so many remote buttons i couldn't get anything to work!;)

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does Dish include Internet ???
I know someone on Hughes .. but his computer is so slow, It wouldn't help to investigate it.
It's only used to keep the kids from getting underfoot ... all 4 of them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know if they offer internet or not. I got DSL thru my local phone company. I tought I might miss the bandwidth, having been spoiled with cable for so long but I really see no difference, at least not for the everyday things I do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had comcast for a few weeks now I had a problem but it was with my OS (ME Crap!). Still I called comcast and was very happy with the help I got from them. As a side note you have to down load McAfee your self. They leave a link on your desk top.

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Also you don't need to install any software from them.
There site now says you need upgrade because they make things a pain.
http://www.comcast.net/browserupgrade/ I get that with Firefox 1.5x just trying to get to http://www.comcast.net/ and I got it when they said Firefox 1.5 or higher.
See the minimum system requirements they have and it's not needed unless you install there software.
They can make it hard getting around there site and years ago it only worked if you used IE but everyone was getting on them about it so they made it so firefox work. Then the added all the ads and flash and people still got mad so they made a "HOME - Comcast.net - LITE" version but http://www.comcast.net/lite/ now that is no longer and good.

Hey when you sign up for the email say NO to getting any news letters. You can get off of the news letter list with comcast and they say they will stop. BUT they also give out your address to 3rd Partys and your on your own getting off there list. Plus who know all they give it out to so your get spam like crazy.
Then when you setup your email account and you get to there website you can use the site to mail from also. I don't but there are setting there for your account and I set mind so any spam gets deleted. I never seen a spam or junk folder for a couple years either and then I was there and seen the spam or junk folder and wonder what was going on. Seems that the folder is made the first time you get spam.
But I have never gotten spam in my inbox or any spam after 5 years or so. But also anyone that forwards email or does not use BCC etc I give them a web base account because I did not want my new address sent all of the place when they forward. Worse were people in the family but they were told about it but keep doing it so I changed things and give them another address so I could also keep the ISP email safe from spam. I made a user name that is a mix of letters and numbers and it's used no place else. Still use mail washer to check on the mail first because it get the added scan for virus and I will know for sure I am not downloading something I don't want. Got thunderbird so you have to click to have it download so had to change the setting fro the default where as soon as you open thunderbird it downloads the mail.
Also they are really bad with cookies to. Even tracking web bugs in the emails your get from them that everyone gets no matter what your setting is. I view the email in plain text so that kills it. I then have many of there cookies blocked and others are in my host file. Lots of tracking, 3rd party cookies.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do speed, trace and ping test and make copies of them now and then when comcast changes everything and your speed gets slower you can test again to show them that all was ok before.
I think it's too late ... We're already on Comcast, but most don't know it yet.
Yesterday, I was able to setup my new accounts in Comcast, copy my personal pages over and add the new accounts to OE.
Haven't sent out any Change of address notices or forwarded any mail to Comcast yet.
Comcast hasn't told us to do this yet, but right now, I have dual accounts... Insightbb and Comcast.

I wonder if they'll give us a couple of months free service for all the hassle this'll cause ..
You think ??

At the Computer club last night, I heard there was a long line at the local cable office.
Seems like there has been some double billing going on... and no one could get help via telephone.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The neighbor behind me (attached to the same node) has been having speed trouble for about a week.
DL's in the KB range.
He has all new cables and yesterday, Comcast changed the node hardware which is how I found out how to setup my comcast accounts.
I never had a speed problem that I noticed, but he's back up to where he should be ...

Attachments

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Well your get your email account so you need to check things like I said. When comcast too over ATT so many people never had spam were getting lots and lots of spam and others did not so it has to be the setting like I said.
I know some that had web sites with ATT that got to keep them after comcast took over. So if you do then that may be good. Building a web page with comcast is a pain and ATT was easy from what I heard.

Get ready for the worse PR there is because comcast is good at saying one thing but doing something else.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Building a web page with comcast is a pain and ATT was easy from what I heard.
Keeping it simple (KISS) ... All I do is create a html from Word (maybe Excel) then upload it via IE ftp .. or FF (w the IE addon)

Seemed to be no difference in this "simple" Personal Page procedure.
Did have a ton of hyperlink addresses to change on one of them.

The Email account setup procedure wasn't as friendly/intuitive as Insight's.

My major complaint ... I'm paying all this money for HD digital WS TV ....
and the sound isn't synced with the video. That really destroys a good movie.
A good ole gun fight is almost comical.

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
I had dial up and comcast tv. Then ATT took over the the tv and internet. Then after ATT upgraded or what ever it was they did it changed back to comcast. Right after that I got comcast internet. It was 1.5 MB then. Was really fast and page loads were super fast. After about 3 weeks concast started changing things all around and speed went down and page loads slowed down. Tv also got worse.
So I had nothing to change but lots had said making a Personal Page was more easy with ATT then comcast. Plus at first comcast wanted everyone to have IE to get around and do anything at there site.
I have had trouble with speed and tv the pass 4 years and had them out here many times.
Also had lots of sound troubles like you have and noise, lines on tv and more. Speeds less then 1MB on most downloads. Get faster at some sites. Then 2/29/08 internet went out for about 30 min's and came back on but the lights don't blick like carzy like they always did. But now some sites I down load from the speed is 3 times slower. Like 89KB to 92KB. Took a couple years befor they fix the download speed from almost anywhere from 25KB to about 81KB. Then I was getting 125KB. Later it went up to about 240KB but for 6MB I am paying for it sgould be faster. If I am at a fast site and see 700 or so KB download it drops down and down and down. Then there is the PowerBoost to 12MB I think for the first 10MB you download or they say there is but I have never seen it.
I high pings and lost packets too.

I think techguy site is one of the fastest site but look at this I just took and it's the worse I ever seen. Also note the first two hopes are the same IP. Why I don't know but was told that it should not be like that but no one knows why or will answer me that has been here or at there forum or on the phone.
Plus look at the 5th hop that is oakland and it is SanJose that they say is are backbone. It goes to oakland and I bet the NSA that scan everything and then back to Sacto and then to SanJose. The 9th hop is the killer with the high pings and that was as high as 2140. :eek:
I did that with PingPlotter that you can get fore free at this site.
http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.