Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around the forum for a while now, and have previously tried most of the troubleshooting steps before I found this site.

What I got:
Toshi(t)ba Satellite A75-S209
WinXP Home SP2
P4 3.06 w/HT
768M DDR
@#@$^@! Atheros MiniPCI wireless card

What the problem is:
The @!~# wifi card has a "code 12: not enough free resources" issue.

What I've tried:
Removing, uninstalling, adding, reinstalling - nothing
Disabling other devices in Device Manager (LAN NIC, Parallel port, PCMCIA adapter, etc) - nothing
Conflicts/sharing tab in System Information - nothing, not even in the list

When this happened:
I reformatted my laptop using the Toshiba recovery CDs. After this, I was unable to use the wireless.

So! Anyone want to take a stab at this? In my almost 20 years of playing with computers, I have never experienced anything so frustrating. Help me out?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the Hardware Resources -> Conflicts/Sharing tab, there is no "Other devices" in the list. In the Hardware Resources -> IRQs tab, IRQ 11 is assigned to Atheros AR5004G Wireless Network Adapter, with nothing else assigned to IRQ 11. In the status column of the same tab, it says OK. *There is no instance of the wifi adapter in the Hardware Resources -> I/O tab.* I saw this before, but forgot to post it in the original. In Hardware Resources -> Memory tab, there is an assigned range.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
One other thing (and I hate coincidences too) have you tried that card in another machine just to make sure it's not the card?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Hmm.... Typing at the same time here. In "Device manager" does the card show up correctly? In the Hardware resources does anything show in the Forced hardware category?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Just had a thought, after the re-install of XP have you looked to see if the BIOS has any settings for wireless communication that may need to be reset?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The BIOS is the most sparse thing I've ever seen. Nothing of value. Nothing. The only thing I could do was enable/disable the parallel port(which I did) and some USB things. In the Device Manager, the adapter shows up just fine with a yellow problem tag. Nothing in the forced hardware category. I know what the Code 12 error is, MysticEyes, but there isn't really anything in the Microsoft KB besides either very very specific problems (none of which pertain to this system), or general statements like "There is a problem." Neither solve the problem. As for testing the card in a different laptop, I guess I'll try to find another laptop to test it on.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
What caused you to re-install XP, which if I read this right caused the wifi problem? Was it some error state with another piece of equipment or something else? Maybe just a clean up of the system?

Have you tried any of the driver removals in Safe Mode. If not I'd try the complete removal in safe mode, reboot. Clean up any registry left overs, etc., reboot. When it finds the hardware and asks for drivers for the card choose cancel all the way. In Windows, install the drivers then reboot and let the card fund the drivers as it registers the hardware.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Knowing absolutely nada about that machine it's like shooting fish in a really big barrel. I found references to this on the web so went to Toshiba's wonderful site (read sarcasm here) and did find a bulletin but you're model isn't listed. That seems odd because of the other references but it's worth a question, do you have Turbo mode?

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaS...iceId=&dialogID=11469298&stateId=0 0 11467602

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All drivers/utilities are current from the Toshiba site. I see that you too have had the pleasure of browsing the support site. It's nice, eh? Haha. There's no turbo mode on this adapter - the adapter simply won't play nice with the system. I'll try to switch out the card with another laptop tomorrow.

This isn't my laptop, I'm working on it for a friend, and she brought it to me with this problem. She couldn't say when/if the wireless ever worked before because she had never used it. She recently got DSL and a wireless router and found out her wireless didn't work. It's out of warranty and Toshiba wants 35$ for a phone call with no guarantees that they can fix it. Yeah, I don't think so.

Back on subject, I figured a clean reinstall was in order (you wouldn't believe how much crap was on the computer). And still no wireless. So the original post was a bit off in the description, but the problem is still the same. I'll post tomorrow with the result of the card switching.

BTW, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it looks like problem solved, and I'm SOL until I can get another card. I tried it in another laptop and the same thing happens - code 12. So the card looks shot. Thanks, griffinspc, and everyone else for helping. I guess it's eBay time!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.