Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60GB hard drive that has both C and D partition. C drive is full and I want to delete the D drive and use the entire 60Gb for the C drive. Is there a simple way to do this? I am using windows XP home. I went into Disk Management and deleted the D drive but it is still unused space.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You're gonna need a package that can resize partions, like Partition Magic. Here is link to a free partition management software, never used it, but give it a try.
"http://www.ranish.com/part/"

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I bought Acronis Disk Director, It finds everything but it still will not let me resize the C: drive. I wonder if I ghost it to another drive then reformat this HD can I ghost it back without also ghosting the partitions?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Acronis will let you resize. Make the bootable Acronis CD, boot from it, delete the D: partition, resize the C: partition. Be aware that the drive letters may change in Acronis (though probably not C:).

If you need to keep the contents of D:, then use the "Merge" function instead.

(Your other plan should have worked. You can usually "ghost" back a partition to a larger partition with most imaging software.)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Elvandil, I am in the process of formatting a 20GB HD now to ghost the drive on to. It will be a good backup in case something goes wrong. I will let you know

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Very wise. The bootable Acronis CD will make quick work of the partition manipulations, but a backup is always a very good idea, of course.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, The Acronis CD took care of it. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
dwaynea515 said:
Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, The Acronis CD took care of it. Thanks again for the help
That's good news. I'm an Acronis fan and I couldn't just let you think that you bought it for no reason. It's a very useful tool, and even if you only used it once, cheaper then the shop. I tend to prefer the bootable CD for most things since the possibility of a running OS interfering with things is removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.