Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I've done this before but so save my life, can't remember or find where it was that I did it. I want to change the (classic?) log on screen to the XP screen using the little icons with users names. Like I said, I've done this before but cannot remember where to change it. Thanks to anyone who can help!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
in the control panel...user accounts...change the way users log on

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is part of the problem: the machine I'm working on has only one account—and it's a LIMITED account which will not allow me to change the way a user, even the owner of the account, logs on. If I could get the XP log on screen, I could boot in safe mode and get the Administrators account. As it is, I can't get to the Administrators account through this log on screen, even in safe mode. Thanks, though. I see now how to change the screen when I CAN get in.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also tried logging off and relogging on as "administrator" but the system said that it could not log me on "because of an account restriction." Does anyone have any other ideas how to get in on an administrative level here? Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi,
Ok have you tried the control userpasswords2 to change the group?
Or you can change group policies

Kind Regards
Anthony

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Your only way to change that setting is with an account that has Administrative privileges. You should be able to do that in Safe Mode. You can't login as Administrator in normal mode on XP Home. When you boot into safe mode, do you get the Welcome Screen or Classic Login?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, guys, for just getting back to you. The problem was the GTGina.dll file and registry entry—most likely received by the former owner of this machine through Linksys or other wireless system—which not only changed the log on screen, but disallowed any changes to the method. See another of my posts from today, GTGina.dll NIGHTMARE, for more detail, but, the file needs to be removed from the \Windows\System32 folder and a the registry entry, same name, from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\winlogon. The XP log on screen will be available again. Thanks for all your input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.