Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have the weirdest CD-ROM issue I've ever heard of. My computer sees both of my CD-ROM drives on bootup (one on D:, a true CD-ROM; the other on E: an HP 9901i CD-RW/DVD-ROM). However, if I put a disk into the drive, the autoplay function doesn't work. If I start a program from the Desktop that I know needs to access the CD-ROM drive to load, such as a game, sometimes (read about 25% of the time), the program finds the CD and loads. Usually though, it tells me to insert the disk into the drive.

When I go into device manager, the drives are listed, sometimes as the correct type, sometimes as an inappropriate type. I have tried deleting and reisntalling the drivers. Sometimes this fixes the problem for 1 load on the CD-ROM (nothing seems to get my HP9901i working again). However, I'm only allowed to 'find' the CD-ROM drive (the D: ) once per boot-up. If I quit out of my current application that's using the CD-ROM drive, then re-open it, it won't find it a 2nd time. If I reboot, again, I have about a 25% chance of it working.

I have also tried monkeying around with the IDE cables and the master/slave settings. I tried changing the D: to being the slave and the E: to the master, no improvement. I tried putting them both on CS (cable select), though I don't know what that does. No improvement. I tried selectively pulling one, then the other drive off of the IDE cable, again, no improvement. I even tried unplugging my 2 hard drives from the primary IDE cable and running the primary cable up to the CD-ROM drives and running the secondary cable down to the 2 hard drives I have. Both hard drives worked fine on the secondary cable, and the 2 CD-ROM drives were still not reading (though again, they always do 'show up', even though their disc contents don't).

I thought maybe my lenses were dirty and I've loaded CD-ROM cleaners into the drive. But I can't use them, because when I load an audio-player program, it doesn't see the CD-ROM drive (which is how they tell you to clean the drive).

I have Windows XP on a Pentium4 system with 512MB of RAM. I'm at my wit's end. My mother (who lives on the West Coast) is dying to see my baby daughter on the new web cam she bought us for Christmas, which I cannot use, because I cannot install the software. Please help! All suggestions considered!

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Howdy,

The software for the web cam probably can be download from the manufactures site ...tell us the make and model and we can do a search.

As for the other problem...did you get the Operating System on CD and did you get any other CDs with the PC with anything on them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonk said:
Howdy,

The software for the web cam probably can be download from the manufactures site ...tell us the make and model and we can do a search.

As for the other problem...did you get the Operating System on CD and did you get any other CDs with the PC with anything on them?
Wow! It's a Logitech Quickcam Fusion. That would be terrific.

I do have the operating system on CD (Windows XP Home edition), as I bought it myself after the computer was here for a while. I imagine if I dug hard enough, I could find the disk for the HP9901i, but the CD-ROM drive was a generic original, it doesn't have it's own disk. When I put Windows XP on, it found it just fine however.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bonk. I'll download it when I get home tonight.

And thanks Idowindows. I need to do some vaccumming inside the case. While I'm at it, replacing all the IDE cables and investegating pins is probably not a bad idea.

Here's the weird thing about this... usually if there's a hardware issue, the device manager won't assign a drive letter at bootup. My computer 'sees' that there is some sort of optical drive out there, but it never sees the contents of any disk I insert (if I go peek through file manager). And I only have a 25% chance of a program successfully accessing it. If the drive wasn't showing up, it would make more sense to me. But this issue... I just dunno.

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Find the disk with the Operating System on it.......

Click Start then Run type sfc /scannow click OK.

Let it run ...this will check all system files are where their suppose to be and are not corrupt.

If it finds some it maybe can fix them but some others it will ask you for the CD with the Operating System on it.

The other option if still no joy is to do a repair install...however try the other things suggested plus the sfc /scannow first...don't forget to leave a space after sfc.

If you do a repair install then leave the HP out for now and see how it works

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With regards to trying to replace the IDE cables, any idea on a good place to pick those up? Radio Shack? CompUSA? Unfortunately, I'm on the East Coast so the nearest Frye's is about 3000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I swapped the primary (connected to my two hard drives) with my secondary (connected to the 2 optical drives). The harddrives still worked and the optical drives behaved as usual... their drive was technically mounted in file explorer, but no information, even the disk label, was available. Wouldn't that rule out the IDE cable as the culprit?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey, I wish I could tell you that The Pope being Catholic won't sin but I can't really vouch for that...

I would try a whole different set of cables and eliminate that possibility altogether...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
idowindows said:
I would try a whole different set of cables and eliminate that possibility altogether...
Okay, but I don't have any additional IDE cables laying around. Would Radio Shack carry them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to run sfc /scannow. It appeared to work okay, but at about 10%, I recieved a message saying "Files required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now". When I insert my Windows XP Home Edition disk, it says I've inserted the wrong disk. It says this is because either I really have inserted the wrong disk (I haven't) or my CD-ROM isn't working properly. Anything else I should try?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
For the record, yes, your switch with the cables rule them out as the culprit. The hard drives are far more dependent on the cables than the optical drives are.

If it were me, I would borrow a CD or DVD drive and test it alone in the case. If it works fine, then either one of the drives killed the other, or the power supply did.

Courtney sends....

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
buddythedog said:
Although it may be a Windows problem, try to see if the drives will consistently boot from the WinXP CD.
Took the words right out of my mouth...

If it were mine I'd see if it would work in DOS ( via the boot cd, or with a boot floppy ), if it does you've got a problem in the Windows subsystem, if it doesn't you've got a hardware problem...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uh, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've never created a boot disk. It would have to be on a 3 1/2" floppy, as my CD-ROMs arent' working.

Courtney, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I don't have a DVD-RW. With the new baby, and the Digital camcorder, I see a lot of DVD's in my future, so I bought one today. Should be here in a couple of days and we'll see how that works. Interesting that you note the power supply as a culprit. Mine did die 2 months ago, since replaced.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
That's ok no problem...

Go here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm download the Windows 98 Se OEM boot disk...

Once downloaded, double click on the downloaded file ( make sure you have a blank formatted, floppy in your A drive ), let it do it's thing, leave the floppy in the drive and reboot, and see if it will boot from the floppy, if it doesn't make sure in the BIOS that the BOOT order is set to boot from the floppy before the hard drive, or the first boot device...

Once booted to the floppy make sure it is highlighted to boot to Boot with CD Rom support then insert a data disk in each CD-ROM drive ( you can do this after you get to the A:\> )...

Then at the A:\> prompt type in d: and hit enter ( or what ever MSCDEX tells you what the drive letter is, you will see it in the BOOT messages ), at the d:\> type in dir/w and see if it will read the directory of the CD ROM if you don't get any errors try the E:...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Give CournteyC a cigar. It was the drives, both of them. My DVD-RW drive arrived. I pulled the CD-ROM out and stuck the DVD-RW in. Works like a champ. Going to pick up a 2nd (they're on about 40 bucks on NewEgg right now) and call it done. Thanks for all the help guys, I really did learn a lot, including that I now have a boot disk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.