Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use ICS to be able to play my xbox at me dorm.

Whenever I try to turn it on, I keep getting an error message.

IPv4- 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway- 192.168.0.1

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Can you tell us how your PC, router and XBox are connected? And the exact error message? I suspect an IP address conflict because ICS uses 192.168.0.1 for the host computer, which is the same as the default IP address for the router.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can also simply bridge the connections and not change the D-Link configuration, it's a better solution than ICS for this environment anyway.

If you must use ICS, you need to make a change. Your D-Link router uses the 192.168.0.x subnet, and ICS is hard-wired to the same subnet. Change the base address of the D-Link router to 192.168.1.1 and it'll all start working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my laptop is connected by wireless. My Xbox is connected to my network right now, bit it isn't letting me connect to xbox live correctly, which is why I'm trying to connect it through my laptop. The error message i get is "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled."

I've tried bridging my Ethernet with wireless, but I also get another error message, "The Network Bridge cannot be configured while other network connection property sheets are open." I don't exactly know what this message pertains to, but if its network windows, I only have the Network Connections window open.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You need to disable ICS before trying to bridge them.

I doubt that connecting through the laptop will work if connecting directly to the router doesn't work. Perhaps you should address why the XBOX won't connect rather than kludging it like this..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the ICS is never able to be connected because of the error, so when I try to bridge it, it's not the ICS. And, I really don't know where I would start to fix the xbox connection. The reason I am attempting to connect through my laptop, is because I had to sign into this university network for internet.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Oh, now I understand. I really doubt you're going to get the XBOX running in any case, since I'm guessing that the ports you need to forward will not be available. I suspect the university wasn't planning on people using their bandwidth for gaming. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.