Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to have a more secure network so I went from WEP to WPA-PSK. I never really had problems with WEP but when I changed it I am not able to really connect to it. Like on the computer that is trying to access it, I see that I have 3 bars and such. I am positive that the passphrase is right. The router even sees that it is there, it just can't get the name. What could be the problem? As I said WEP no problem, WPA-PSK can't connect. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Start with the make/model of the wireless router, and the make/model of the machine and/or wireless adapter you're connecting with. Also, what is the version/patch level of Windows in use?

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your wireless adapter and updated the router to the latest firmware?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using a trendnet TEW-432brp wireless router with the latest firmware. The adapter is the trendnet TEW-424UB also with the latest drivers on a Windows 98SE fully updated computer. I usually get about 55% signal. And with WEP is worked fine, just not with WPA-PSK AES.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had some trouble migrating from WEP to WPA with my netgear setup. I don't know about 98, I've only ever used 95, 2k ME and XP but XP has a build in wireless manager which I let manage my connection rather than the card-driver and it's been fine ever since...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
WPA is not supported for many cards with W98/W98SE. You may be stuck with WEP.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Agree that you should be fine with 128-bit WEP.

I'm pretty sure that 98SE does not support WPA; to use it you have to find a utility that will suport WPA on 98SE.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
cmw2010 said:
Your setup should support WPA. When you changed it to WPA did you refresh your ntwork list under the "Site Survey" tab in your configuration utility?
I'm curious on what basis you make this statement. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.