Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished setting up a home network and everything seems to be working fine. My internet (DSL) is working fine on both of my comps but i cant seem to share any files between them. Im running windows xp pro on one and windows xp home edition on the other. Once i try to enter the other comp C drive my comp tells me a error has occured and that it needs to end the program, being my explorer.exe. Whitin seconds it comes back on. Any suggestions pleaz reply

Thanx in advance:D

· Registered
784 Posts
See if you can ping each computer from each other. If so, you know it's not a cable problem.

If you think you're Explorer.exe is damaged...try this:

Start-->Run-->cmd

sfc /scannow

You'll need your Windows CD in the CD tray if you want to try SFC (System File Checker).

Also, make sure that the Windows XP built-in firewall is off.
Right-click Network Neighborhood and choose properties. Select Local Area Connection and choose properties. Select (Don't uncheck) TCP/IP and choose properties. Click the Advanced tab and make sure "Protect my Computer and Network......" is not checked.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tryed what you both said but i cant seem to find both of these options. So i was wondering if you can direct me where exactly these options are.

I am do have a router of a hub. I am running the network of a D-Link network card with a cross over cable.

Thanx in advance.

· Registered
144 Posts
go under network connections, right click you LAN connection, click on Properties, when the box opens up, ensure that the File/Printer sharing has been selected. this will enable you to share across the LAN. Hope this helps :)

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can now share files.Thanx. Is there a way that i can now enter the other comps hard drive from my comp? We can share files only the files that in our Shared Folder and thats all. Any i deas how to share whats on the hd?

· Registered
144 Posts
Go under 'my computer', right click on the drive u want to share, click on properties, select the sharing tab on the top of the box, and select that u want to share the drive.. that shood work for ya! Hope this helps :)

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yellow grrl you have done it again! Thank you for your help i can now share my hd on boths my comps. thank again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.