Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just swapped a 10 gig hard drive from one pc to another...
the 10 gig drive used to be in my portable usb hard drive case. which i then used as a portable hard drive.
i formatted said portable drive on windows xp.
i have just decided to put the drive into a different pc.
however when booting from my setup/operating system cd's
i get a message telling my the drive cannot be found.
obviously i have checked all the connections a few times.
im wondering if maybe i have lost some data on the drive when i formatted it?
or any other ideas and helpfull info woulld be most appreciated

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
When the computer first starts up, there is a key to press to access the bios setup. Most often it's DEL, F1, F2, Compaqs F10 to access the setup area.

Also, how do you have the drive connected in this computer? On a cable by itself or on a cable with another drive?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the drive is connected via the cable into the motherboard blue port and the 2 cables one large and one small one inside the computer. i will check the bios like you said....

·
Registered
423 Posts
In case the other suggestions don't work...
Some motherboard CMOS's will autodetect a hdd and then permanantly revert to "user" settings to lock the hard drive in. The next HDD that is installed to that board is gonna stay at the last HDD settings until the detection utility is set to auto again. The result is a not detected HDD.
Enter CMOS (aka setup) by pressing whatever the boot screen prompts you (often "del") and enter the graphical interface. Study the legend on how to move around or select "help". Find your hard disc settings usually in the first group of options and set them all to auto. Save and exit. If you need more elaboration, we will be around to help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i may see the problem...i think i am going mad...it looks to me like the blue end of the jumper cable does not fit into the blue port on the motherboard!!! this makes no sense whatsoever as this is the cable that was in the pc when i bought it anyway!....the trial continues!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
on closer inspection i notice that one end of the cable is not fitting onto the plug/port..the other end fits like a glove...perhaps the tiny pins arte slightly out of line?
if this is the case...what can i do from here!?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Very, very carefully try to straighten the bent pin(s). DO NOT break them. I use a small screwdriver or letter opener. You can also try to start from the bent side first, line those up and gently ease the other side into the slot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jeez the missalignment must be so minute i can narely see it and cos of the way the innards of my pc are set up its hard to see.
needless to say im having no luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.