Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the cd I bought is designed to let the computer boot off of it long enough to install the operating system. the computer I have is a compaq evo desktop and has nothing on the hard drive. i bought it from a blind and deaf charity organization off of ebay where they have to erase everything so you cant pull anything off the computer from the previous owner. originally the computer was booting off the cd for a short time and would show the desktop even. but then it would stop spinning the cd in the drive after a while and the computer would do just nothing at all. so I kept having to restart the computer by holding the power button. over and over again. linux never got installed. now when I try to boot the cd it doesnt even reach the desktop. is there something Im doing wrong. does anyone know what I am suppossed to do? Ive been waiting for this computer for so long and now it wont work so I feel bad. I just want to have a computer of my own. if I dont boot off the cd the computer says error 22 and does nothing. I dont have a windows xp disk. please tell me what to do. maybe I have to make a partition or something. also [email protected] in compatibility mode tells me everything fails due to no user id. which it didnt used to happen.:confused:

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
5,333 Posts
Hi and Welcome,
Can you clarify please... can you get the Mint disc to run at all even for a short time? Does that machine have USB slots?
Where are you posting to this forum at the moment? Do you have another PC / laptop?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
696 Posts
Check that the disk is clean. A thumb print can stop things

Check that the CD-Rom is clean. Do you have a CD lens cleaner?

Make sure that the disk is good quality. CD-Roms can be picky and one CD might work, while another doesn't.

Does the CD work in another computer? Richard asks if the machine has USB slots - it is possible to install from a USB stick.

How much RAM memory does the computer have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:confused:Thank you so much for replying to my post. cd rom runs cd long enough it gets to the black screen that has LINUx MINT and 5 dots under it loading. then does nothing. I am not at my comp right now. On a different pc in different city. but have you seen this thing before? and I dont have the disk with me so I cant try it on a different computer. and yes it does have usb slots unfortunately It does not have anything to put in them. I have the basic items to run a computer. monitor keyboard computer speakers. broke my mouse. ethernet cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.