Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've got an old Win 98 SE but have had a specific problem with the internet the last couple of weeks:

If I connect to the internet with firefox or IE, I can access google and search for anything and it brings up the results, however if I try to go to any of the search results or load any site other than google, the browsers just don't load it, firefox in particular says at the bottom "waiting for pix01.revsci.net" no matter which site I'm loading - I've googled and this seems to be something to do with cache :confused: Also, any software that needs to update online (antivirus, etc) will not update.

I'm pretty sure it's not an infection as Hijackthis log is clean and nod32, boclean, adaware, and superantispyware, have all showed clean, that computer has only ever been used for safe sites, i.e. yahoo and was reformatted a couple of months so an infection is very unlikely.

I've ruled out a conflict as well as all the software has been used on there for some time with no problems, and I disabled nearly everything to startup in MSCONFIG except the modem and still have exactly the same problem.

Anyone any ideas before I get the old reinstall windows CD out?

Thanks
GlenB

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
download hijackhis from a different machine, put it on that machine, scan and save the log, put it on the other machine, post it here.

you can use a thumbdrive or floppy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMJ said:
you can use a thumbdrive or floppy.
I don't have a thumbdrive, I have run hijackthis on the machine and it's clean (Im not authorised to remove malware here but I have experience with HJT logs and know what every single entry on my log is and it's not showing any malware). I'm pretty sure the problem has something to do with this pix01.revsci.net, I've googled but it looks like something to do with reading a websites cache? :confused:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MMJ said:
No, the proxy would be in IE of firefox.
when did tis happen?
what does ipconfig /all say?
I've checked settings of firefox and no proxy, same with IE.
ipconfig /all says:

Windows 98 IP configuration:
Host name.......................PBN Computer
DNS servers..........................
Mode Type............Broadcast
Netbiosscope id...................
IP Routing enabled...................No
WINS proxy Enabled....................No
Netbios resolution uses DNS..................No

0 Ethernet adapter:

Description:..................PPP adaptor
Physical address.......................
DHCP enabled.......................Yes
IP address................... 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask................0.0.0.0

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MMJ said:
How is your network currently set up? Do you have a router?
No router, a standalone PC that connects to internet via USB broadband modem with a dynamic IP, I use the same connection for the laptop Im on now and don't have any issues at all with this connection.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.