Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dug out our ZR50mc with hopes of downloading tapes from our child's first two years to our computer. Have never been successful with this before, and find I am still unable to get my computer to recognize the connection and begin capturing video. Several problems:
1) computer won't recognize this camera is connected. Computer (Dell XPS) works fine with other Canon ELPH and Sony HDD video connections using both Handycam, Zoombrowser, and Picture Motion Browser (PMB using AVCHD).

2) which software to use? Other than PMB noted above for our Sony HDD video, we don't have another movie program to capture images off the tape.

3) which connection cable to use? I purchased a "Dynex" brand USB wire which I believe may be a firewire (bought a few years ago)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
USB and Firewire are different things. Either should trigger a connection to the computer. USB is only for downloading still photos and Firewire is for videos on your camera. Evidently if you used a couple of extended analog modes for the movies they aren’t digital and won’t download at all. If you used a DV mode for the movies you should be able to download them through Zoombrowser using Firewire. I assume you use Zoombrowser as Canon has downloads for only that software for your camcorder.

You need a Firewire connection in your computer – most have them but they are different connections than USB.

Canon has the latest Zoombrowser for your operating system and the full manual you can download from their support page. You might download both and see if they offer any help. Go to support and it walks you through choosing the right page for your camcorder. There is also a FAQ and space to ask support questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the helpful suggestions. I suspect that the key here is the lack of a firewire connection for my computer - it appears to have USB only. I'll go after the updated info from Canon and see where it goes - and maybe just wait until we get a newer computer in a few weeks. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
For $11 delivered you can get a Firewire card. If part of the decision to get a new computer is to access your movies this will work for you. The hardest part of installing one is probably removing the cover from your computer case. You would want to check that you have a slot, but it is unusual to not have an available slot if you haven't added stuff to the computer. http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=100214&source=pricewatch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.