Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have no idea where to even begin to start. Windows auto-updated today, and now my computer BSODs at various points in the boot process. I can enter safe mode. I've tried a system restore to a restore point several days ago (not the most recent one created w/ the update), but an error occured and Windows was unable to restore.

I get error messages when I enter safe mode (but no BSOD).

I have a complete drive image on an external hdd created through Norton Save and Restore 2. However, I do not have the required Symantec Recovery Disk needed to access Norton's recovery features, nor do I have the installation disk which is apparently needed to create said disk, nor can I load Save and Restore to create said disk.

Help?

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Have you tried other restore points than just that one? And yes you should be able to remove the updates manually if you have not completed a System Restore (which would remove them as well).

What are the error messages you are receiving (run: eventvwr.msc and look at the System Log in particular. Any "NTFS" errors (run chkdsk for those)?

Also let me have a look at the minidumps which should be created for each BSOD >>

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

On Vista you can do this by running mdsched.exe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so the BSOD occurs only after I have logged into Vista, but not at any point before.

Under the Program Manager (or whatever its been renamed to in Vista), I selected show updates, but no updates were found?!?!

I tried to bring up the system log, but the Event Log Service was stopped, and I was unable to restart it via the Task Manager

I changed the kernel memory dump to a small memory dump.

Attached is the minidump file.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran a memory check, and did not see any errors (unless an error was found at the very tail end since I had to leave my computer).

Attached is the error message I get in Safe Mode (and have gotten once during a regular boot after logging in).

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I am having the exact same problem since this morning. It auto-updated and BSOD on restart but ONLY after login. Tried system restore but nothing and safe mode DOES work too. Sigh.

Trying a bunch of stuff now, will post with what does and doesn't work.

Ok so from safe mode, the updates installed today were,
KB973879
KB973874
KB970653
KB972036

Obviously its one of those updates creating the issue. I will try uninstalling one-by-one to see which it is.

Alright, so I think I have solved this issue. The problem-causing update is KB973879. After looking up each one, I choose the most invasive looking update to remove first and have found it to be the issue. This particular update is for certain Intel multi-core processors and allows a person with said processors to install Vista SP2 without a BSOD. Here is the link to the Microsoft KnowledgeBase for this update: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=973879

Good luck and I hope I have helped the OP and anyone else that needs it!

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
The 'nominal' faulting driver is a core system memory manager in which an access violation is occuring due to different programs trying to access the same protected memory -- which has not been freed.

I cannot tell what specifically is causing it, but I see a lot of Symantec and Raid drivers in the "trap frame"

I've uploaded the whole dumpcheck and you can look at the drivers in the trap frame.

I would recommend testing by "clean boot" troubleshooting and also checking the integrity of the boot drive itself by running chkdsk.

If you get a BSOD in a completely clean boot -- upload the minidump for that.

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in "selective" startup mode - you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << written for Vista but apples equally to XP

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've already been booting in diagnostic startup, but the BSOD still appears after I login to Vista (all services and startup items are unchecked).

I still cannot see any installed updates, both in normal and safe mode.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So based on the previous author's reply, I did a google search for KB973879, and found this site: http://www.techerator.com/2009/08/fix-hp-pavillion-dv-series-gets-blue-screen-after-windows-updates/

It seems like the solutions revolve around uninstalling KB973879, but for whatever reason, my update list is blank, so I am going to try the "repair computer" option; hopefully, system restore will work and allow me to uninstall Kb973879.

I am wondering if the problems with my system restore may be caused by me not using the most recent system restore, but one that was created about three days before the update/BSOD problem.

Just an FYI, I have an HP dv4-1430us running 64bit Windows Vista.

EDIT: So I was able to get the restore point, and now everything seems to work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.