Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so very, very bored.

so I'm thinking about making a simple cipher macro. I send an email to someone in gibberish, they copy it into excel, run the macro, and the macro will change the first letter to equal, say, the first letter plus 5 more. Ergo, A would become F.

Trick is, I can do that for individual cells, but the person I am sending this to is an excel neophyte, and there's going to be spaces as well in the message.

So let's say I want to send my wife an email that says 'I love you'. Simple enough. She copies the text into excel, it will put it all in one cell. My cipher text would look something like a qegr ske. Run the macro with the predefined letter substitions, it would spit out the correct answer, but all in one cell and with no spaces.

again, just bored. Reckon I can use a special character for spaces (') and have that be the delimiter and have the macro run the text to column function, I would think.

input?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Hi Valis! Often ciphers have transforms so that they are several digits - "A" could be "001" in one code and blanks could be allowed to be "000," which would then allow you to create codes for periods, commas, etc. Just for fun, see attached.... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Of course, VBA could do this all in moments, and with far less work....

And given the number of replies you got while I was tinkering with that spreadsheet, a bunch of people must be bored!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, all I did was use a combo of the index/match and randbetween and hid the columns, and it worked perfectly. :)

but thanks, guys.....I was reading about taht rot13 cw, and while I get the concept, applying it to excel is beyond me utterly.

now to take a look at slurps sheet, and see what the Genius Himself put forth....:D

like I said, I just got bored. the supposition of me sending the message to my wife was precisely that; granted, I had to walk her through how to run the macro, and I never did figure out how to concatentate it or put in spaces, but it got the point across. :)

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Valis! Often ciphers have transforms so that they are several digits - "A" could be "001" in one code and blanks could be allowed to be "000," which would then allow you to create codes for periods, commas, etc. Just for fun, see attached.... ;)
hahaahahahaahaahhahahahaha!

hellooooooo mr. kettle, I'm mr. black. :D

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
hahaahahahaahaahhahahahaha!

hellooooooo mr. kettle, I'm mr. black. :D
Well, yep! :D :up:
Dog days and all that...my boss took me out for a huge lunch and it is all I can do to stay awake.... :)

Let's have another party, valis! :)

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yer on, matey. :)

Iltos is having a birthday bash. Need to find some llama's, though.

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we may.....iltos (bob) has sort of a thing for large, flightless birds. Emu's will do in a pinch as well.

Penguins are straight out. He was stalked by one for a few years after an ether-filled binge tryst.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Well, if they haven't converted them all into fried food, I'll see what I can arrange. But I have to agree to a degree about the penguins - keep those damn smiling birds locked away with all the snakes....

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snakes and penguins?

Are there snakes in antarctica?

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nope, was just bored yesterday. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts