Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turn on this computer, and all it does is display the amount of RAM (512M) at the top. Nothing else on the screen except the computer model number at the bottom and "press DEL for Setup". I press DEL and nothing happens. I tried the mobo CMOS reset button, removed the battery, turned it on with batt in or out, but no help. It was working fine up until this. I don't recall the specs, but it is an HP, at least a Pentium4 2.0, less than 3 years old.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Do you have a USB thumb drive or RS-232 to USB adapter plugged in? Some can cause this behavior with particular motherboards. I haven't yet found a solution (other than unplugging the USB device until POST is completed).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hi mate!

Try removing any drives from your computer (Make sure you disconnect them from both m/b and power supply to make sure that it is not a power issue) and see if that helps.

I have seen a similar problem on a P4 machine after we removed the power supply for a few days while waiting for a new one. It seemed like BIOS reverted to the default settings and forced the 266Mhz RAM to run at 400Mhz (as FSB). No beep codes - the machine just stuck on the Asus full screen logo and couldn't boot or let us press any keys.

So check this out as a posiibility, if your RAM is budget, low speed it may be overclocked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running two drives on this--an IDE to boot off and a SATA for storage. I moved the IDE to the secondary bus and it boots fine. Who'd thought? Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.