Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodmorning all,
I have a boot problem now after checking the safeboot box in msconfig boot.ini

I have had safemode boot problems before using the F8 method, and now it wants to boot in safemode every time. It wont get past the Windows XP screen :(

I have tried the repair Windows disk but it wants to start in safemode and the setup wont allow this.

Is there any way of unchecking the (safeboot) box using the recovery console, or am I screwed?

Cheers
Weef

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is my problem, it wont start in safe mode. It starts OK normally, but because the box is checked it trys to start in safe mode even when I chose start normally from the menu using F8

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Go to misconfig like I said and click normal startup and also click on the tabs BOOT.INI and uncheck Safeboot also click on the Startup and Services tab and madesure everything is checked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, my post might not be clear enough. It won't boot, at all. I would love to uncheck the box, if I could.
Can I uncheck the box using the recovery console?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes thats right, I have tried everything I know of. Last known good, normal, safemode, even windows repair with the disk but it says cant continue setup in safe mode, setup will now restart, and back we go again. Any other way it goes black after the windows xp screen with the little blue moving thingy at the bottom. The hard drive runs for about 30 secs then stops.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I hope Bonk gets back to this thread and understands you can't boot into windows. I am not an expert but I understood your questions. If nothing else put your cursor on bonks name and click. It will give you an option to send a private message. See if he knows what to do or if he knows of a moderator who can help you.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
When you do a repair/reinstall, you boot from the CD. Click on the link I posted and read through it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes I have done, that but when it gets to a part of the setup, it says can no longer continue because its in safe mode. I guess its because that box is ticked in msconfig.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Weefy said:
yes I have done, that but when it gets to a part of the setup, it says can no longer continue because its in safe mode. I guess its because that box is ticked in msconfig.
If it's booting into safe mode, you are definately NOT booting from an XP installation CD. You need to go into BIOS and select CD as the first boot option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.