Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up big this time. While trying to install some drivers after uninstalling and installing video card drivers I unintentionally installed a driver from the wrong motherboard disc. It was late and I was tired.

Anyway, I'm getting blue screen of death with the following error:

A problem has been detected and shutdown, etc.

***stop: 0x000000a1, 0xDEAD0010, 0x86FEC610, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

inconsistency detected in the pci bus drivers internal structures.

I tried to restart using last known good configuration, safe mode, etc. and every time the blue screen would pop up preventing startup.

I then tried to reinstall and it gave me the option to repair previous installation which I did but before it could complete installation the blue screen popped up again. And continues to prevent further installation.

I installed Windows on another hard drive hoping to be able to access system restore, scan disc, anything that would correct the problem but no luck.

What do I do??

I would rather not reformat drive C as I have some files I haven't backed up. I have most backed up but a few not.

So now I have my original drive C trying to install Windows every time I restart and a clean running copy of Windows on drive D.

Any suggestions? Help!

· Registered
46,025 Posts

· Registered
46,025 Posts
Yeah I understand that, but I'm not talking about Windows in this case but your BIOS/CMOS setup configuration.

As I said, long shot, but the CMOS holds "pci" data that concievably could be involved here, and getting it to do a "reset" may reconfigure it to be consistent with what you have.

The key to press to enter CMOS setup should be visible early in the boot process -- eg: press F2 to enter Setup (yours may be different)

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rollin' Rog said:
Yeah I understand that, but I'm not talking about Windows in this case but your BIOS/CMOS setup configuration.

As I said, long shot, but the CMOS holds "pci" data that concievably could be involved here, and getting it to do a "reset" may reconfigure it to be consistent with what you have.

The key to press to enter CMOS setup should be visible early in the boot process -- eg: press F2 to enter Setup (yours may be different)
Instead of wasting more time I just reformatted the damn thing. Probably could use a good clean up anyway. Thanks for the help nonetheless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.