Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get an anti virus program for my computers. I have heard that both Avast and AVG are very good free services. I do not do any networking, or advanced things concerning the internet. I just want good basic protection for my computers. Which is the better choice, or is there a better one that I have overlooked?

Thanks for your help!

·
Trusted Advisor
85,516 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm gonna hijack this post since I can't find the one where I posted before. I got blasted the last time I posted on here for not running any anti-virus software so I took the advice and installed:
Spywareblaster
Malwarebytes
SUPERAntiSpyware
Avira
Avast
IObit 360
Threatfire

My question is: Are Avast and Avira basically the same type of program, and should I get rid of one of them? What about IObit360, and Threatfire? I don't want programs that are going to work against each other.

·
Registered
178,377 Posts
you should only use one anti virus so you need to get rid of one of them, I prefer Avast, it's accurate and well rated

·
Registered
178,377 Posts
Threatfire is another AV but IObit is a security prog, you have plenty of protection with Malwarebytes and your other anti malware progs without the need for any more, that's just my opinion, it's down to you though if you feel you want to use more programmes..

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I remember the other thread, You weren't the thread starter of it though, http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/844350-solved-whats-best-free-virus.html
your own thread might have been better... a mod/admin would probably be willing to split these posts to your own thread if you or the thread starter would like. :)

Most members of this forum aren't very familiar with having a security setup different than an AV, and I was sort of against your setup since it didn't sound like you really had much security otherwise, But then I think I've been paranoid with computer security at times. ;):eek:

As already said Avast and Avira are both anti-virus programs and I believe IObit 360 is one too from the look of their description,

Threatfire was originally just a behavior blocker (it watches the behavior of programs and alerts to anything malicious) but they recently added an AV to it, I haven't used it in awhile so I'm not sure if it's supposed to work with AV's like it was originally supposed to.

·
Registered
178,377 Posts
Giz, IObit is a malware removal prog, it says it works with your AV here :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Giz, IObit is a malware removal prog, it says it works with your AV here :)
:eek: oops,
Thanks, so it does. :)

I actually read that but stopped reading right around the last line since I saw it said it had real-time malware protection and all I thought it was an AV. still sounds like it is to me but maybe it was designed to work with others, Similar to A-squared.

Well it was late last night when I posted. ;)

·
Registered
178,377 Posts
:eek: oops,
Thanks, so it does. :)

I actually read that but stopped reading right around the last line since I saw it said it had real-time malware protection and all I thought it was an AV. still sounds like it is to me but maybe it was designed to work with others, Similar to A-squared.

Well it was late last night when I posted. ;)
I'm guilty sometimes of merely scanning posts just to get the gist of them!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.