Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My video editing program which is Pinnacle 12 can make a movie in either AVI or MPEG4 plus other formats.

Rather than having to make the movie in each mode I would like to know if someone can tell me which will give a better video quality.

What are the pros and cons of each format?

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Depends on which form (codec) of AVI you bespeak of. Divx and Xvid Avi are a form of Mpeg4 I think (Pinnacle 12 has Divx) so I think they are very closely related, so its just a matter of preference and playback compatibility for the devices you own. I go with Divx/Xvid since its more compatible with devices I use. You may differ.

One thing I've noticed watching Revision3 for instance, is that with thier MPEG4 encodings (oh, and the Cnet ones too), when there is a scene cut, there will be a variable smearing of the image for part of a second before it corrects back to normal qauality. Other than that I would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

Sometimes one will handle the input video better, or is more compatible with it than the other when converting, which I don't really understand but I do know that if I get a poor result with Divx output in Pinnacle 12, I can take the same input video to AutoGK and play with the Kernel Deinterlace Filter setting and get a MUCH better resulting video, but then I can't even get the resulting Xvid video to load in Pinnacle any more so...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I have always used AVI since I started with Pinnacle 9. But Pinnacle 12 offers so many formats to choose from that I was confused as to which one to choose.

I will probably stick with AVI since I do editing and it has worked well. The file size is not a problem since I keep my videos short (nothing so boring as a video that goes on forever).

Again, thanks for the input and I will mark this as solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.