Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Buy sold us a 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 to upgrade our Compac Presario SR2020 NX. The sold us the computer and said this was compatible. When we installed it at boot up the message reads /Windows/system32/config/system file is corrupt or missing and we had to learn how to repair without the software, since all they sell with it is what's on the computer, no disks. The only thing I can think of is the computer has a DDR slot even though they told us according to their records it has a DDR2. They said we had to bring it in to the store for them to help so I thought I'd try here first. Any ideas? I can't read anything on the memory slots to tell if it's DDR or DDR2.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Well if the ram fit in the slot, ddr2 is 240 pin modules while ddr is 184 pin modules. DDR2 would not have fit the socket if you had DDR sockets as I am led to believe.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so it should work. The first message that comes up at reboot is: STOP:c0000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process System Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0XC0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down.

Does this mean anything to you?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
The memory is either faulty or not compatible, not all memory is created equal. If you take out the memory does it work?

Do NOT try to repair Windows with the new stick of memory still installed.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
As Triple6 stated restore the computers memory back to its previous state, then do a repair install of the operating system should repair the system32 file. and any other files that may have been corrupt. Also realize by doing so you will have to download and reinstall all Windows Updates issued after the date of creation of your Windows copy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yes, it does work after we put the original memory back in and restore the files. We did those things. I must be bad memory. I guess we have no choice but to take the machine back to them and let them figure it out. They'd better not charge us though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we've found and corrected the problem. AVG was having a problem reading the System32 file on scan. After several attempts to fix it after trying to install this memory we replaced the system32 file and successfully installed the RAM. I'm wondering if a worm had hidden itself there. I've never encountered AVG not being able to read a file before.

It should be noted though, that even though HP lists this particular part as compatible on their website, Kingston said they don't test this product on name brand machines. One customer support person at HP said they don't list it as compatible and had no answer as to why it is listed on their website. But then, the extent of her English speaking capability may indicate she couldn't read the language any better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.