Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had an older compag computor and the power unit crapped out it had windows XP home for an operating system, so i bought a new compag presario with windows 7 for an operating system, my question is can i take the old hard drive which has a lot of non replaceable stuff on it, and add it to my new computor without too much difficulty?

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is a high possibility that the new PC does not have the same hard drive interface as the old HDD.

Odds are the old HDD uses PATA (IDE) interface cable, the 2" wide ribbon cable.

If the old HDD uses SATA (narrow cable), there are usually a few free SATA ports on the system board.

Of course there is also the possibility of a PATA interface on the old board.

If there is a mismatch, you can always purchase a hard drive enclosure, so you can connect your old drive via USB

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked out the hard drive and its a sata model number seagate barracuda 7200.9 160GB (st3160812as) so it should fit right in correct?

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Just add it. The computer should still boot from the new drive and you can either copy the files or just leave the old drive in as a backup or storage drive.

·
Registered
499 Posts
it wont interfere at all. Your computer will assign it a drive letter. Elementary...my dear Watson!

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can even buy a simple $15 external drive...this way you can use this extra drive as storage and you can turn it off and on as you need it to save power without the drive consuming power.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The way you are making it sound.....the operating system isn't depending on the hardware as much as you are thinking. Any operating system...(well...almost any) can be used with any build. The problem lies in the fact that if you use a really old setup...it may not be able to run something newer like Windows 7. It may be limited to Xp at best....or worst case even Windows 2000. You would prefer to use a newer chip to run Windows 7 with at least (I suggest) 2 gigs or better. I use an amd phenom myself and it runs Win 7 fine.

EDIT = Also...running an old operating system..(say Windows 98) might not work with the newer chips. I believe the lowest you can go without a lot of trouble is Xp. You can do 2000nt but it's a b.itch...and 2000 isn't really duel core compatible like xp is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay bought a sata hard drive enclosure hooked it up my pc reads the drive as presario(F) 73.6 GB free of 453 GB and presario_RP (G) 597 MB free of 8.55 GB the new computors drive reads OS (C) 424 GB free of 453 GB and HP_RECOVERY (D) 1.45 GB free of 11.8 GB i can't seem to access all of the pics and vids on the old drive only some and how do i start up and run the old drive as if i was working off of it without the new pc's drive opening up explorer am i making any sense here?

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I can't seem to access all of the pics and vids on the old drive only some
What is the system saying when you try and access the pics and vids? Are you geting an arror?

How do i start up and run the old drive as if i was working off of it
If you are referring to booting off the old drive and running the old operating system on the new PC, you can't. That operating system is specific the the old PC and can not boot from other systems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i don't get any kind of error message just won't show up or not transfered, and i was under the probably mistaken impression that you could somehow create a partition?? and run 2 different operating systems, guess not HUH?

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Yes you can install another OS on a separate partition and Dual Boot . But you can't run the installed OS on the drive from the old PC.

I don't get any kind of error message just won't show up or not transferred
What procedure are you using to move the files? Drag and Drop? Copy and Past?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.