Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend onto whose laptop I installed Ad-aware Anniversary Edition (the only version I know of that permits automatic updates). It's configured to install updates (program and pattern files) automatically, and she is online every day, mostly to get and respond to e-mails. I provide "technical support" to her, and noticed today that when I ran Ad-aware, the update icon had under it "Update now", which I did. But this is puzzling because updates are supposed to be automatic. I also discovered that she needed several Vista updates, which are also supposed to be automatic.

She has a Toshiba laptop running Vista Home Premium. She connects wirelessly to the Internet, and there have been no problems with that.

Why are the automatic updates not happening?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it is called the Anniversary Edition but what version is it?
Ad-Aware Pro
Ad-Aware Plus
Ad-Aware Free

Auto update will only work on the paid versions.
It's free. It is incorrect that auto-updates work only on the free edition. That IS true with their other versions (e.g., Ad-aware 2009), but for some reason is NOT true with the Anniversary edition. See attached screen dump of settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Extensive Detection Database
• – Ad-Aware now detects over 2 million known threats, with
continuous pulse updates to guard your privacy against cyber attacks. (Plus, Pro)

That means you will not get the definitions updates from the auto update.

That is from there .pdf file but other places it does say you get the auto update.

Don't know what is in your attachment and I will not download to look.

How long did you have the auto update working?
Did it stop after 30 days?

I do not even have there program on my computer. I used it for years but then when the Anniversary edition it was so screwed up and took away setting it used to have and went down hill I took it off my PC and so have a lot of others because people no longer like it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had it for at least a year and it has always updated automatically (both program changes AND pattern files). The attachment was simply a picture of the settings in which "Download and install updates automatically" is checked. . . and it has done that since I've had it. Not only does it do that, but it finds malware that neither SuperAntiSpyware nor Malwarebytes finds.

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
You could try a reinstall.

I stop using it because it was find things that no other program was and you could not see all the info to know what it was pointing to so you could check it out to see if it was false or not. Then the undo you could not see what was what to restore things.

See this thread and page 2.
http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/792676-ad-aware-anniversary-edition-now.html
Post #22 I show images that show all I was able to see on what it wanted to remove.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Dear DKTaber and hewee,
To add my Euro's worth of opinion,--Quote" could not see all the info to know what it was pointing to so you could check it out to see if it was false or not." Unquote--hewee's post. I had the Ann. Edition too, but always did a manual update. No clue as to what i was quarantining or deleting."Better safe than sorry" policy, you may call it!:(

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Dear DKTaber and hewee,
To add my Euro's worth of opinion,--Quote" could not see all the info to know what it was pointing to so you could check it out to see if it was false or not." Unquote--hewee's post. I had the Ann. Edition too, but always did a manual update. No clue as to what i was quarantining or deleting."Better safe than sorry" policy, you may call it!:(
What? No clue as to what i was quarantining or deleting.?

That is the very reason not to use the program.
Just think if it was controlling your money?
You would be broke in no time and wonder what happen to your money but you was trashing it and did not know it.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Dear hewee,
That's what i was meaning! Deleted the Ad-Aware Ann. Edition long time back! I don't do financial business over the net at all, once i realized it was a risky thing! Nowadays, i go to the shop and buy it off the shelf and pay with crisp Euros!:):up:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not as concerned as the rest of you about not knowing what I'm deleting, because the nature of what I delete seems obvious. I.e., cookies like "adserve", "double-click", "webtrends". I don't need any further explanation to know what those cookies were put there for; the name is enough. And I have never encountered a computer problem after deleting what Ad-aware wanted to delete.

Perhaps my automatic updates are a fluke; that is, even though I have the free edition, something in my copy of the program gives me automatic updates. Seems unlikely, though, since I have had it for a year+, and about 3 months ago, reformatted my HD and put everything -- including Ad-aware AE free -- back on, and it works the same as it did before -- automatically updates. Since the consensus here is that it's not supposed to do that, I'll mark the thread as solved.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Dear DKTaber,
The returning cookies are a prob., though, anyway since you've marked that aspect of the thread closed,no need to go into all that blah,blah(from my side!)!;)

I have Malwarebytes and Super antispyware (both paid) and i have set the time for "automatic Updating" usually early in the morning.But i get up before my desktop does and do a "manual download" of that day's updates! Call it "finger exercise":Dlol! When i want to minimize SAS Pro, i have to press SIX times to get the job done and occasionally SAS gets "locked up" by the system!:eek: .Best wishes.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, in message #5, I mentioned that SAS and Malwarebytes rarely find anything, but Ad-aware does (1 or 2, like adserv), so by inference, you know that I also have and use these as well. As you know, there is NO malware finder (AV or AS) that will find everything (if there were, we'd all have it). So I use all three. I have Avira Antivir (free) as my AV program, but occasionally do online scans with Panda, Trend Micro, and/or Kaspersky. Only Kaspersky ever finds anything, and it's invariably "Gumblar.a", supposedly a trojan in 2-3 of my e-mails, but this has been documented many places as a false positive which Kaspersky has failed to fix since it was discovered at least 4 months ago.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Dear DKTaber,
I totally agree with you there,reg."no single program's ability to catch'em all"! I was recently scanning using Panda and it came up saying "you do not have IE8,etc", where as the fact is i have IE8! A few days back, did an on-line scan with T-M housecall and it identified KIS2009 as a "Trojan". I immediately ran Anti-Rootkit Revealer and MBAM and the results were "clean"! These conflicts have to be considered, and i found BitDefender scanner as the most thorough and professional and i also rate Kas scanner very high! Nice exchanging ideas with you!:):up:

PS: HOSTS File was a real revelation for me, after i became a member of the site and hewee taught me the ropes! I am always ready to learn and once some one feels he/she has reached the pinnacle, the fall is imminent! Sometimes, i forget to name the source and when someone points it out, i try to be apologetic, because the fault is mine! I never feel sorry to say "sorry!". I lose nothing!Many probs. in the world arise out of mis-placed Ego! What say?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re the HOST file: I neglected to mention one additional AS program on my PC -- Spyware Blaster. HOST file protection is exactly what it does, but it's innocuous. It does not do scans; it just sits in the background blocking illegitimate attempts to mess with the HOST files, and it never flashes up messages telling you it blocked something. You tend to forget it's there.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Dear DKTaber,
You're spot on! Did you get the latest version? Yes, it does not allow any messing around with the installed programs!:)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're spot on! Did you get the latest version? Yes, it does not allow any messing around with the installed programs!:)
I always have the latest version. SB is one of the programs for which I paid the ($10) annual fee, so all updates are automatic.

·
Administrator
123,542 Posts
Ad-Aware Free does now include Ad-Watch and automatic updates. Here's a link to the comparison chart:

http://www.lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the program and see if that works as something may have become corrupt. But if she's not receiving Vista updates either, there could be something else at play, such as malware. Why does she not have Service Pack 1?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ad-Aware Free does now include Ad-Watch and automatic updates. Here's a link to the comparison chart:

http://www.lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the program and see if that works as something may have become corrupt. But if she's not receiving Vista updates either, there could be something else at play, such as malware. Why does she not have Service Pack 1?
I was virtually certain that I wasn't the only person on the planet with free Ad-aware AE that updated automatically. And you're correct, it also has live Ad-Watch.

I don't recall saying she didn't have SP1. She does; I installed it shortly after she bought the computer. It may be that she's not getting updates because of the way she uses the computer -- 95% for e-mail in a couple of sessions/day, and when she's done, she closes the lid, which puts the computer into standby. So the computer's online time is short. I think I'm going to set her power options to "Never" and ask her to leave the computer on for a few days to see if she gets updates.

·
Administrator
123,542 Posts
I'm sorry, I must have been thinking of another thread where I saw a HijackThis log with Vista and no service pack. :eek:

Have you had her try to force updates by visiting MS updates?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sorry, I must have been thinking of another thread where I saw a HijackThis log with Vista and no service pack. :eek:

Have you had her try to force updates by visiting MS updates?
Well. . . you have to understand that she and her husband are not computer literate, and that's an understatement. They are life-long friends, and I have become their "tech support guy". I doubt that either of them would know how to do that.

One of the things I did on Friday was download and install Secunia PSI, which I rely on to tell me when programs need updating. The initial scan indicated 10 insecure programs. When I looked at the list, Vista was on it. The updates were not big ones, mind you, and some were for IE8. But I was bewildered as to why they hadn't been automatically downloaded and installed because Vista is configured to do that.

One of the problems I have with them is that they are so paranoid about malware that when they get update notifications, I'm afraid they ignore them. I can't be there every day to observe what they do, so these are just suspicions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.