Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt the other thread was pretty well solved and didn't want to drag it out

Today I received my version 11 CD and could hardly wait to install it and run first backup

I have a 320 Gig HD SATA2 that currently has 10 Gigs of Operating system (Windows XP). I would like to back up whatever is there and keep it safe for installing on this computer if HD ever decides to go South.

As I proceeded through the Backup Wizzard on Acronis True Image I got a little nervous that I might be doing something wrong. I am trying to backup the HD to a LaCie 2.0 External HD-- lots of space to hold 10 Gigs---- but as Wizard drew to a close it seemed like they might be attempting to backup the empy portions of the drive as well as the 10 Gigs I wanted to backup.

I also want to back it up to DVDs-- and am afraid it will take 90 DVDs to back up 10 Gigs--- that doesn't make sense either.

Let me describe the steps I took and please correct me along the way:
Select: Backup & Restore
Then: Backup
This brings up Wizzard--- OK

Select: My Computer
Select: Disks and Partitions
Select HD to backup: Disk 1- Capacity 298.1 Gig- Used space: 10.066
Specify: No files left out

Backup Archival Location: Lacie (L) Free Space 204.1 Gig Toital size: 232.8 Gig
Create a new full backup archive
Use default options
Add a comment (if you wish)

Then up comes a summary panel:
Create Full Backup Archive
To file: J:\My Backup.tib
Compression: normal

Operation 1 of 2
Creating partition image
HD#1
Drive letter C
File System NTFS
Volume Label
Size 298.1 GB

Operation 2 of 2
Saving Partition Structure
HD 1

That is about where I panicked-- I didn't want to spend hours trying to cram 300 gigs of data (290 of which is empty) into a 200 gig drive

I guess I get nervous the first time-- and could use your hand-holding (& would appreciate your wisdom of experience with this program
thank you
letchworth

·
Registered
164 Posts
by the looks of it ur just fine. I have a 300 GB hard drive and only bout 30 of it is used. I backed up the entire partition of my computer including empy space. It only used bout 32 GB. It just remembers that the rest is empty space it doesn't actually back up that space. This way if you get a new hard drive and it is say only 100 GB it will just use the 30 GB (in my case) to use. I should warn you that edition 11 has a glitch that is estimated data usage space on ur external hard drive is going to way higher than it will use. mine said it would use about 200 GB when it just uses 30. Acronis is planning to fix this in the next edition.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should warn you that edition 11 has a glitch that is estimated data usage space on ur external hard drive is going to way higher than it will use. mine said it would use about 200 GB when it just uses 30. Acronis is planning to fix this in the next edition.
Just my luck-- I finally spring for a new version and it is flawed out of the gate-- I guess I can cope with that (no choice)

Funny thing is that my backup turned out to be smaller than expected--- just barely fit on one DVD--- (That is a lot of OS and couple programs the shop installed).

I guess the only way to know if it really worked is to install it on a bare drive & see if it fires up--- but not tonight.

Thanks for the encouragement & help- to you and all the responders in both posts
letchworth

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Unless you use the sector-by-sector option, the backup will typically be around 60% of the used space on the drive, or around 6 GB for a 10 GB installation.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
So far; so good I'd say. Don't sweat the size that may be required. After you have an image of your hard drive, use the "mount" feature and you can then look at every item you captured in your backup . You can also verify your mount. Don't forget to "un mount" so that the added space won't be shown on your hard drive (external(?)). Hope I have remembered correctly; it has been awhile since I last used Acronis TI. (Guess I should do it again shortly ;)
You still have my good luck wishes.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
letchworth, a parting thought/suggestion. Probably, after you installed Acronis 11 it probably suggested that you check for any updates to the version that may have been made available after your CD was manufactured. I started doing this with all updates to whatever version I was currently using. When you log in to Acronis it will offer you any available update(s)---I suggest that you download the update(s) but save them to you HD. I do that on all of my downloads from the web from whomever, virus check the download, just to be safe, and then install that download to update Acronis. I learned that I can use that saved update if I ever had to re-install Acronis. The update is a full download of the Acronis. I have all of mine burned to a disk for additional safe keeping. Let me add that this used to be true and Acronis may have changed their procedure for updates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.