Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new computer today which I had loaded with XP-Home. It stands to reason that the installation will never be as clean nor the hard drives so empty as they are today. (Currently about 10 Gigs with operating system and a few basic programs)

I would like to create a backup with Acronis True Image 7.0.638 so that if the hard drive ever crashes I can reload the operating system, drivers, and basic programs--- quick, clean and easy.

Is 7.0.638 a good version to use (I downloaded it from Acronis when they were doing a promotional and getting ready for an upgrade-- but have not used it--- it is fully licensed).

I have two hard drives in the new machine, a DVD burner, and an external USB-2 backup drive; the power supply issue (if it fails and takes down HD with it) causes me to think of DVD or external drive-- but would appreciate your insights. Does this version support DVD burning or is that a non-issue? (New drives are SATA-IIs)

I opened the program on my old computer and it gives me several menu items like:
Create Image
Disk Clone
I'm not sure which of these I should select

(Sorry, I have never done this before- but thought this was a good time to try). I am not adverse to spending money if needed, but with program in hand, I thought I'd ask.

You folks have always been very helpful- I know several of you use this program (In fact, it was someone here who let us know Acronis was having this promotional "give-away").

Thanks for your consideration
letchworth

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used Acronis in my personal and professional life and found it to be a very solid product.

The only issue I had is that it for the most part had issues seeing the stored image on the Ext. USB HDD but it would browse the network and pick up an image on a computer in the same workgroup. Go figure.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
I don't know if 7.0.6 supports everything on a new computer or not but what I do know is that if you were only seeking to make a "clean" restore set of DVDs you can download and use TI 11 for 15 days free trial. Its also (or at least was) under $30, free shipping at Newegg too.

Since Acronis works inside Windows and you are using XP Homesmoke I would guess that it will work fine. You'll find out pretty quickly if it supports DVD burning or not when the destination settings come up and one of the options is DVD or not.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I have no personal experience with v7, but I do know some versions prior to v10 did have some issues with burning CD's and DVD's. My v10 works flawlessly with XP Home. I suppose you won't know until you try it. In my opinion, you would be well advised to upgrade to at least v10.

BTW... Since you have a slave HDD, you my be interested in how to make the slave drive bootable into the Acronis utility. I find it quite convenient. If you are, post back and I'll provide references.

Raybro

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no personal experience with v7, but I do know some versions prior to v10 did have some issues with burning CD's and DVD's. My v10 works flawlessly with XP Home. I suppose you won't know until you try it. In my opinion, you would be well advised to upgrade to at least v10.

BTW... Since you have a slave HDD, you my be interested in how to make the slave drive bootable into the Acronis utility. I find it quite convenient. If you are, post back and I'll provide references.

Raybro
Thanks, I would appreciate that

letchworth

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your insights

I have decided to purchase V11 from Newegg-- their price is cheaper than the upgrade price and you get a CD.

It means waiting 3 days to really make changes and add too much stuff to this new machine- but my wife is patient (she must be-- I've given her many opportunities to practice) and that gives me time to clean up the P4 machine a bit more for her.

You folks are very helpful & I appreciate it very much
letchworth

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
With info already given you, I doubt that I can add much to this but yes, I used the 7.0.638 for a long time and found it to be good to me. I did not , as I recall try DVD burning. Only did my backups to an external USB hard drive. I have since migrated to ver 9 and now using ver 11. I have elected to stay with the USB hard drive and will continue doing it. My bacon has been saved many times by True Image. You are most definitely correct; your new computer will never be "as clean" unless you opt to do a clean install of the OS in the future. Good luck with your experiences with Acronis TI. I think you will like it. BTW, you could practice with the 6.0.638 until you get ver 11.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Thanks, I would appreciate that

letchworth
I'll take that as you do want to know how to make your external drive bootable into the Acronis Backup program. Click here to go to a tread in Wilderssecurity forum by Mudcrab for all the info to do so. using his method, I can boot into Acronis with a CD, a USB Flask drive or my external HDD. I'm a believer in redundancy.

EDIT... I've changed the link a few times to get it as easy as possible. Sorry if it confused anyone. Its on the correct link now.

Raybro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.