Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: For the past several days, after I have been online and click on the X to escape IE, I have occasionally recd the following message:
The heading reads: Acrobat IEHelper: Iexplore.exe - Application Error. Message reads: The instruction of "0x017d4213" referenced memory at "0x0114ad58". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

I have not been using the Acrobat Reader in these cases. I use Win XP Home and IE 6.0. I haven't observed anything happening when I click on OK, other than closing IE, which is what I was trying to do in the first place. Any ideas what's up with this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It might be something to do with Adobe Acrobat Reader -- Have you tried to re-install Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, or have you tried to upgrade your reader to 7.0?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using Acrobat 7.0 without difficulty. I don't see how it could be involved, when I wasn't using it at the time of the error message and had not used it all day!

I just Googled Acrobat IEHelper and one suggestion was to run System File Checker, so I'm gonna give it a try! This is a known problem, it appears. I'll report back after the scan/repair.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That acrobat helper is a separate app added to IE to help it handle PDF files. I believe they are called browser helper objects. See any adobe ICONS on your IE toolbar? That BHO likely starts adobe acrobat or acrobat reader depending on what your doing in IE. There are programs that will let you remove them. Some of them are the result or spy-ware and or mal-ware, so programs were developed to remove them. Reinstalling adobe acrobat or acrobat reader my fix it for you too.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no Adobe icons on my IE toolbar. Every time I boot, MS AntiSpyware detects a BHO, which I block. I'm getting the error message more frequently now -- almost every time I close IE it shows up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have some adobe icons but that may be because I have the full Acrobat 7 installed along with creative suite 2. I think you may have to reinstall acrobat reader or remove the BHO(s). Can you tell which one MS anti-spyware is blocking? Sounds like you may have some spy-ware or mal-ware on your PC. If MS anti-spyware is warning you each time you reboot that means something is trying to re-install itself. Probably something you don't want. That may be what is causing your problems. I would scan for spy-ware and go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem and I fixed it. I first tried uninstalling acrobat but that didn't work - it just gave me the same error message but headed ie application error.
So here is what I did:

I clicked on the tools menu of internet explorer and selected 'internet options', then 'programs'. Then clicked 'manage add ons' and selected 'add ons currently loaded in internet explorer.' Then disabled each program one at a time and tested if the problem occurred (remember that you have to close IE first and then restart.)
Turned out the source was 'solid converter pdf' (a free program from a computer mag) which translates pdf files into rtf or doc for editing. It had previously worked fine but there seemed to be a problem after the last windows update.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm. For some reason, these last two replies did not get sent to me, but I noticed them when I was checking for other issues today.

I went to the *manage add ons* internet option and disabled *solid converter pdf* as well as two references to acrobat. When I closed IE, I received the same message. I then reopened IE and closed it again -- NO message! Thanks for the tip, Freddyfeet. I'm thinking the problem may well be cured now.
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
EBSchrader said:
Hurray! Not only did my error message go away, but MS Anti-Spyware isn't finding a BHO to block when I reboot! You guys, as always, are the greatest!
Cheers, you don't know how pleased I am to be classed as one of "you guys"!
Glad it worked for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.