Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slightly older laptop Inspiron 1150 that I can't connect to the Internet.

Both wirelessly (on my home network) with a Linksys-G notebook adapter and hard-wired with ethernet cable, I get the same message:

"acquiring network address". It doesn't.

It sees the wireless router.

I ran IP config and everything is blank:

Connection-specific DNS suffix.:
IP Adress..... 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask.... 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway....:

If there is anything I'll need to download, such as a driver, I have to introduce it via a flashdrive connected to the USB port since I have no Internet access on the laptop.

The fellow who gave me the laptop said he had this problem after he updated Windows XP a couple of years ago. He said that previously, he had access by cable but not by Wireless. I don't know what else he might have done.

My desktop computer works fine via the cable modem but I have no wireless (other than the Inspiron) to test that part of the system.

I have low to moderate computer skills so please be as specific as you can with your responses. THANKS !!

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Hi;Let's look at a few basics,and go further if need be.

IP Addresses all O’s
From a JohnWill post:

IP addresses of all zeros are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:
1. DHCP Service not running.
2. Duplicate IP address on the network.
3. Bad NIC card drivers.
4. Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:
1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.
2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, restart (power cycle) the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.
3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
4. Replace the Network Interface Card.

And this will be an expansion of # 3 above.

Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
4. Under general tab should be enabled and working properly.
5. If error code,what is it ?

And,from your ipconfig,no default gateway indicates that no router has been found.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That was easy.

Changed DHCP from Manual to Automatic, and it works both via cable and wirelessly.

I have no clue how it got changed in the first place.

Much appreciated !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.