Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm in need of some help. Here's a brief rundown on the issue at hand.

-Desktop hardware issue caused my system to be unable to boot, therefore I put the harddisk in a SATA usb case and hooked it up to my laptop.
-On that harddisk I had my desktop (1of3 on system) private so it was unable to be accessed through documents and settings on the other desktop profiles and only when I was logged onto my desktop
-Since that is the case I cannot access my files with my usb external drive via documents and settings on my laptop

Here's my attempts to fix the problem
-I was able to get into the files by logging onto the system account by opening interactive cmd.exe ending explorer.exe task in task manager and then restarting explorer..
-I created a new desktop on the laptop to try to copy the files over from the external drive, but my next attempt to get onto the system account would not work, I followd the steps I'd taken before
-I've rebooted many times as well, in scheduled tasks it says the task of cmd.exe is running but it's not visible for me to do anything
-Since I could not get back on system, I booted in safe mode and attempted to inheret permissions to all subfolders and files for the drive but it still does not work

When I attempt to open the folder my error is:
--E:\Documents and Settings\(username)\ is not accessible
access is denied. (with a red circle white X in it).

So I need to know how to gain access to my folders on my drive.

Someone please post a reply that can help me out asap.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I was waiting for a reply I did just that. I have a link to microsofts knowledge base with instructions for anyone else who encounters this issue. I was in the right place before in safemode and security, but I was on the permissions tab and chose to inherit permission from the parents which obviously did not work out properly. I had access to the main folder but not the subfolders and contents. But yes, taking ownership is the way to go to get the job done.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.